• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Armed bandits raid Amazon River cruise ship carrying Americans

Rate this topic

mercedes

Industry watcher Travel Weekly is reporting that armed bandits on Sunday raided a small luxury ship that operates $5,000-per-person cruises on the Amazon River.

The news outlet says Aqua Expeditions' Aqua, a well-known luxury vessel that has won rave reviews since debuting on the river early last year, was boarded Sunday by six armed bandits who robbed passengers of money and valuables.

Travel Weekly says there were 24 passengers, including six Americans, on board at the time of the incident, and nobody was hurt.

The news outlet says the 130-foot-long ship was returning to a port Monday where passengers were to leave the vessel. It says the company is promising passengers a full refund.

The Aqua sails three-, four- and seven-night expeditions on the Amazon River year-round that start at $700 per person per day. It was on a seven-night trip at the time of the attack.

These bandits !!! Don't they know what happened to some of them? It's too bad the passengers had to go through an experience like that. Isn't there any way to prevent this ? I thought after that pirate thing a couple of months ago, that would deter them and I thought that more preventative measures were being used. No????

• 1 month later...
These bandits !!! Don't they know what happened to some of them? It's too bad the passengers had to go through an experience like that. Isn't there any way to prevent this ? I thought after that pirate thing a couple of months ago, that would deter them and I thought that more preventative measures were being used. No????

The larger ships use sonic and water cannons as non-lethal deterrents, but I don't think that many of these devices have made their way to the river boats yet...

Ray

It's time to train and arm the ships officers to defend the ships. I cannot understand why it hasn'y been done yet by ALL shipping companies. Until then it's easy pickings for the pirates. When people are taken hostage and held for ransom and/or killed we might see some action but until then don't count on it. :angry:

OK, I am suffering from lack of sleep, but my first thought, when reading the title was "what were the armed bandits doing, carrying Americans?". I know, I blame it on old age and sleep deprivation!!!

I always carry an american with me... they are considered good luck in some circles! :biggrin: