• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Samana, Dominican Republic

Rate this topic

suzierue

Hi Suzierue...

I was in Samana on my very first cruise, but that was way back in 1979. It was a beautiful place and wasn't very built up then. The islanders washed their clothes on a washboard in the river or some place of water, can't remember. Little children would come up to our tour bus all dressed in Indian type clothes (or lack there of) and paint on their faces, and try to sell to us. They always said "one dollar;one dollar." I bought an amber necklace for one dollar. It's the real thing...only need to put the amber into a better setting.

We only toured the island with a tour from the ship. It was very uncivilized back then. Sorry that I can't help you with current things. I'm sure it has changed a lot by now.

Suzi...you are welcome. It was a beautiful Island, I remember, and there was really no place to stop...it was that uncivilized. They had one place to stop and use the bathroom, and it was just a bathroom like you'd find at a park. Hope you have a great cruise! If you go, I'd love to hear about what it's like today.

• 2 months later...

We were in Samana in 2008 - We were going to walk to town and walk around, but ended on a "taxi tour" with a driver from the Samana Tourism Bureau. It was scary at first (language barriers), but ended up being one of the best excurstions we've ever taken. He took us to friend, who took us on a long, but well worth it hike though the jungle to a beautiful waterfall (not the one you have to see by horseback). He showed us fruit trees, flora and fauna on the way, and the waterfall was breathtaking. He then told us other places he could take us, so we went to the beach, and a few other site seeing places. He was a wonderful tour guide, and was very informative. I'm not sure but check out the local tourisum bureau on the internet for more info. At that time they were trying to build themselves up. It is not a built up port, but the true local history and way of live was awesome! I think in the end we paid $80 dollars, but it was WELL worth it.

We were in Samana in 2008 - We were going to walk to town and walk around, but ended on a "taxi tour" with a driver from the Samana Tourism Bureau. It was scary at first (language barriers), but ended up being one of the best excurstions we've ever taken. He took us to friend, who took us on a long, but well worth it hike though the jungle to a beautiful waterfall (not the one you have to see by horseback). He showed us fruit trees, flora and fauna on the way, and the waterfall was breathtaking. He then told us other places he could take us, so we went to the beach, and a few other site seeing places. He was a wonderful tour guide, and was very informative. I'm not sure but check out the local tourisum bureau on the internet for more info. At that time they were trying to build themselves up. It is not a built up port, but the true local history and way of live was awesome! I think in the end we paid $80 dollars, but it was WELL worth it.

Went to Samana and took the wale watching excursion. Small boat but captain did manage to get us close enough to see wales. My 11 year old did end up getting seasick and one other person did also. Not an excursion for the weak of stomach.

I went by myself into the port later when most of the cruise passengers had already been and gone. I liked the fact that it wasn't well developed.

A little boy about 9 to 11 yrs old followed me a ways and tried to get me to have my shoes shined ( I was wearing tennis shoes). It took me a bit to get through to him that I didn't want his service. Anyhow continued to walk to the edge of the tourist area and did not feel comfortable exploring on my own although there was no immediate threat. Stopped at this outdoor bar/cafe for a beer that I had seen mentioned on web site about Samana. As I sat there I saw the same little boy kept trying to get business from sporadic tourists and had no luck. I figured that he needed the money more than I did so I asked him if he would allow me to take his picture for a dollar (which is what he wanted to shine shoes), He agreed and I now have a picture of him. On the way back I did by a couple of seashells from other youth vendors. Also they had motorcyle rickshaw type cabs available at the tender area. Also had a couple of people offer to let me rent thier cycles although that was outside of controlled tender area. Not sure what that was about.

Samana is interesting for the fact it is not as developed as other ports. The next time I cruise there I intend to explore a bit more of the local area.

Sam

Went to Samana and took the wale watching excursion. Small boat but captain did manage to get us close enough to see wales. My 11 year old did end up getting seasick and one other person did also. Not an excursion for the weak of stomach.

I went by myself into the port later when most of the cruise passengers had already been and gone. I liked the fact that it wasn't well developed.

A little boy about 9 to 11 yrs old followed me a ways and tried to get me to have my shoes shined ( I was wearing tennis shoes). It took me a bit to get through to him that I didn't want his service. Anyhow continued to walk to the edge of the tourist area and did not feel comfortable exploring on my own although there was no immediate threat. Stopped at this outdoor bar/cafe for a beer that I had seen mentioned on web site about Samana. As I sat there I saw the same little boy kept trying to get business from sporadic tourists and had no luck. I figured that he needed the money more than I did so I asked him if he would allow me to take his picture for a dollar (which is what he wanted to shine shoes), He agreed and I now have a picture of him. On the way back I did by a couple of seashells from other youth vendors. Also they had motorcyle rickshaw type cabs available at the tender area. Also had a couple of people offer to let me rent thier cycles although that was outside of controlled tender area. Not sure what that was about.

Samana is interesting for the fact it is not as developed as other ports. The next time I cruise there I intend to explore a bit more of the local area.

Sam