• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Jamaica and Grand Cayman

Rate this topic

foxc

I liked Dunns River Falls. I'm glad I did it. But once really was enough.

I think what bothered me the most was folks getting in my face (and invading my space). I politely told one lady that if she just let me look at her crafts I would surely purchase something. She just kept putting one thing after another in front of me and kept saying, "lady you buy this, lady you buy this." I walked away and bought nothing.

I love outdoor markets, straw markets, farmer's markets. I don't like pushy people.

For the 1st timers SRC in GC is usually the placwe to see. You wade out and feed the Rays by hand. They are used to this. I agree that GC is very expensive to eat at. You're eyes will pop out. I don't really know of any out of the way local gems in GC but perhaps when you get there you can ask a local at a tourist kiosk or check the www.

In OR the usually a 1st time tourist sight is Dunns River Falls. Basically you form a human chain and climb to the top while being led by a guide. We did it once and it was pretty neat really though the day we went it began to rain and thunder like hell so we had to stop short of the top. Actually it got so loud that some folks became frightened to the point of tears. Its a bit strenuous so you can skip it and take a tour. Last Feb we got a nice tour for the 5 of us for $60.00 US. Yes, the private guides are a bit assertive but its how they earn a living. The guy we met was this way but he gave a nice tour at a good price. BTW my pic here was taken that day at a nice, local restaurant called the Ruins. Good place for Jamaican food. Yah mon :cool2: Cheers, Larry

The Wife and me have a couple favorites in grand cayman. The first was Stingray city. my wife was scared to death at first but by the end was holding a 70 pound stingray like a baby. It was simply one of the most unusal and unforgetable experiences we have had on an excursion. You have to try it at least once. We also went on an Island tour. We got to see many amazing site, even got to visit hell and send friends and family postcards from hell!!!

Hey All,

Ok so some of you may know i am on that Costa Cruise on Jan 3rd.

We call upon Ocho Rios, Nassau, Grand Caymen and Cozumel...the only new things for me is

Jamaica by sea (been there and done dunns before but travelled the land) but GCM is BRAND NEW.

OK heres the kicker....

I am 100% an Ocean person but terrified of live fish....LOL...I know sad...but it freaks me out...i try to snorkel, but as long as the fish are far enough away i am good, once they are close I freak :blink:

Eating them is different! I could eat fish everyday.

Now...I HATE cliche touristy things...but i feel that in GCM String rays are a must! Can anyone help me out with this? were you afraid of fish and did it? were you afraid of being stung?

And i honestly dont know if i am gonna get off the ship anywhere else...i have been to cozumel so much....there is nothing there for me...Jamaica....any ideas of Ocho Rios?....Nassau...franly i found very Boring....I think its gonna be a ship day.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS....PLEASE SPEAK UP!