• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What was your first port-of-call on your first cruise?

Rate this topic

deb1220

Remember your very first cruise? What was your first port-of-call......and what did you do there?

Ours was Nassau, Bahamas in February, 2002. Being "newbies" we didn't book any excursions....just kind of wandered around and took a horse drawn carriage ride around the city. :biggrin:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first port of call was also Nassau but it was in 1964 - long before Atlantis and Paradise Island. We had to tender in and there was not an awful lot to do other than the straw market right at the tender dock and the glass bottom boat tour where we saw absolutely nothing. Walked around the town for a bit and went back to the ship and went in the pool.

Actually I went with my 2 best girlfriends and we had recently graduated from high school and between all the lectures on the ship about theft and warnings not to eat anything including drinks with ice in them we were pretty terrified to even get off the ship. lol

Our first port-of-call was Ketchikan, Alaska. We were eating breakfast in the main diningroom and watched the ship dock. Then we got ready to get off the ship. Didn't do any excursions but we did take the walking tour on your own and saw alot of the town and did some shopping. Took lots of pictures. We had a short time in town and wished we could have been there longer to see more of the town.

God I had to go look......our first official port was St. Thomas but we left from San Juan because it was the only weeks cruise that left on a Monday.

The cost was 599.00 per person for "two berth inside with shower and toilet" We've come a long way since then.........LOL

Ours was Port-Au-Prince, Haiti in June, 1980 on the M/S Starward. Certainly can't visit that port any longer. Since the late 1980's they have had some political and governmental turmoil. Anyway, I vaguely recall a city tour, which probably wasn't much. That was too long ago for us older travelers.

I am really enjoying all these stories! This question came to me as I was 'trying' to fall asleep and thinking about all the ports we've been to....trying to picture each one and what we did etc... Thanks for all your great responses! Anybody else? :biggrin:

I am really enjoying all these stories! This question came to me as I was 'trying' to fall asleep and thinking about all the ports we've been to....trying to picture each one and what we did etc... Thanks for all your great responses! Anybody else? :biggrin:

My first cruise was on the Carnival Fantasy October 17, 2004 and the first port was Freeport, Bahamas.  We had no excursions planned for neither Freeport or Nassau, just was going to do things on our own.  I was totally wowed by the straw market and in awe that I was visiting the Bahamas.  I will never forget the thrill of that first cruise and first port.  Even though we did nothing special, it was my first port and I almosted cried I was so excited, and boy did I have fun at the straw market.  :rolleyes2: