• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What was your first port-of-call on your first cruise?

Rate this topic

deb1220

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our first port was St Thomas...took a tour of the island with a local tour guide...up the narrow, winding mountain road we went, no guide rails, my heart was in my mouth several times while going up that road. When we finally got to the top, we stopped at a look out & snack shop where i went straight to the bathroom and cleaned my pants. After the fast tour we shopped at about 50 or 60 jewerly stores, had a bite to eat at a local resturant (got my picture taken with one of the lovely waitresses) and then back to the ship. Don't remember too much about the island, but do remember the waitress.... lol

Ours was St. Thomas also....I remember the ship getting closer & closer and thinking "WOW! - All those hills to drive up all the time". Well, we got first-hand experience with that, just like someone else just said - the bus was a real junker. The driver was a speed demon. I looked out over my side of the bus and thought we were all going to die. That made me mad because I thought I would never get to finish my very first cruise!

Shari2 our first cruise was on the same ship, Carnivale and the same year as you, 1979. We definitely went to St. Croix first. We went in May of that year. Wouldn't it be something if we cruised together and just never knew it. I don't remember what type of shore excursion we did but I know we checked out the shops in town. We had so much fun but then we didn't cruise again for many years as we started the family, buy the house type thing.

My fist cruise was back in 1976 (Leonardo Da Vinci) and the port was St. Maarten. I've never been back since, but will be going there in November. I didn't cruise again until 1999. Then, our 1st port was Hamilton, Bermuda. That was a great cruise (Nordic Empress)

Hi Linda...that is quite a coincidence. I wasn't sure if our first stop was Samana or St. Croix...so thanks for the info...I think I still have a few of the daily programs if I looked them up. I think we were on the ship in April, at Easter time. I would have to check it out to be sure, but I do think it was Easter time. Guess we just missed each other.

Great post, Debbie!