• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The latest gee-whiz thrill from a cruise line: An 'alpine coaster'

Rate this topic

mercedes

Royal Caribbean added yet another thrill for its Caribbean-bound passengers this week: An "alpine coaster" that reaches speeds of up to 30 miles per hour.

The $35-a-ride attraction, dubbed Dragon's Tail Coaster, is located at the line's private beach in Labadee, Haiti, which is visited weekly by several ships.

Royal Caribbean President and CEO Adam Goldstein noted in his blog this week that Dragon's Tail Coaster is a first in the cruise industry. "This is an attraction that exists at some ski resorts but certainly not at any other cruise line’s private destination," he wrote. "I tried the one at Park City, Utah, this past winter so I would know what we were going to offer, (and) I can’t wait to try it at Labadee."

Goldstein says the attraction soars 680 feet into the air and includes 360-degree turns, dips and curves. Cruisers ride a cart down a track that cuts through a mountainside forest. The total ride time is about three to five minutes.

The $35 price is for two people in the cart with a maximum combined weight of 360 pounds. The minimum age for a single ride is 12 years old. Children between the ages of 5 and 11 may ride in the same cart with their parent or guardian.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on The Dragons tails coaster just back on the 6th of Sept and me and DW did it, and had a great time. It is almost as high as the Zip line. The ride it self is about 5-10 minutes with going up the hill and depending how fast you want to go. It was 35.00 per cart with max weight of 360 pounds. They let us go twice since we were the only couple on eh ride.