• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival Paradise - April 2010

Rate this topic

brneyes

We are planning on going on Carnival Paradise in April of next year. Part of the cruise we are going on, will be an oldies/rock & roll event. There will be 4 named entertainers/singers there.

If you have been on the Paradise within the past year, would you give me your pros/cons of the ship?

Also, if you have been to Catalina Island or Ensenada, Mexico, would you tell me what to see/do in a "short" span of time.

brneyes

Rock & Roll cruise sounds WONDERFUL. I need to look this one up.

We have stopped at Catalina Island and both Ensenada. Because it was our first cruise (1988 or thereabouts) we were anxious to do it all and see it all. At Catalina Island we took the glass bottom boat tour. We also spent the rest of the day walking/hiking on our own. Very safe. Lots of fun.

We didn't get off the ship at Ensenada the first time. However, we did just last March. Because this is a border town, you will find many drug stores and liquor stores and bars. Most folks go to the bars in Ensenada. We took the bus from the pier to the main square and then just walked around. We live 45 min from the border so visiting the border was no big deal for us. And, we don't drink liquor so buying duty free booze was not on our agenda.

Where else will you stop?

Rock & Roll cruise sounds WONDERFUL. I need to look this one up.

We have stopped at Catalina Island and both Ensenada. Because it was our first cruise (1988 or thereabouts) we were anxious to do it all and see it all. At Catalina Island we took the glass bottom boat tour. We also spent the rest of the day walking/hiking on our own. Very safe. Lots of fun.

We didn't get off the ship at Ensenada the first time. However, we did just last March. Because this is a border town, you will find many drug stores and liquor stores and bars. Most folks go to the bars in Ensenada. We took the bus from the pier to the main square and then just walked around. We live 45 min from the border so visiting the border was no big deal for us. And, we don't drink liquor so buying duty free booze was not on our agenda.

Where else will you stop?

As far as I know those are the only two stops. It is a 5day/4night cruise. I don't know if you have had time to check out what is going to be transpiring with the 4 entertainers, but I think we will be kept pretty busy involved in what is going on with them.

As for Ensenada, no we do not drink either. Is it a place where you can "bargain" for items? Since you live close to the border, than you probably know about Tijuana? That is what I am referring to. It has been years since we have been there, but I do remember "bargaining" with several people there. In fact we still have some nice items that we got there. This has been over 30 years ago.

Do you remember what the cost was to ride the bus?

brneyes

Bus ride was less than $4 a person. (I think round trip) Very safe. They are at the pier. They take you to the main square. They tell you what time they will be back. They bring you back to the pier. I really think it's a "cruise line" operation and not public transportation.

Yes, you can bargain pretty much anywhere in Mexico. However, with that being said, I'm not sure what there is to buy. I'm sure Carnival will have a preferred list of stores to stop at. (I always wondered if there was a kick back to the ship.)

When you go to purchase something, make sure to ask if they can give you change in US dollars. We encountered a number of small stores that insisted they did not have US dollars. Personally, we think they wanted to hoard the US dollar. The peso is really of no value to you once you leave ensenada.

And, we always went to the purser's desk before leaving and made 'change' for the larger bills so that we had lots of ones and fives. (I have no idea what the exchange rate is and whether I am being taken advantage of.)

Most of the stores that we went in to plugged the information in their cash register and hit the US dollar button. The cash register than did the figuring. Maybe that's why Carnival recommends shops. They figure if there is any cheating going on ...

Bus ride was less than $4 a person. (I think round trip) Very safe. They are at the pier. They take you to the main square. They tell you what time they will be back. They bring you back to the pier. I really think it's a "cruise line" operation and not public transportation.

Yes, you can bargain pretty much anywhere in Mexico. However, with that being said, I'm not sure what there is to buy. I'm sure Carnival will have a preferred list of stores to stop at. (I always wondered if there was a kick back to the ship.)

When you go to purchase something, make sure to ask if they can give you change in US dollars. We encountered a number of small stores that insisted they did not have US dollars. Personally, we think they wanted to hoard the US dollar. The peso is really of no value to you once you leave ensenada.

And, we always went to the purser's desk before leaving and made 'change' for the larger bills so that we had lots of ones and fives. (I have no idea what the exchange rate is and whether I am being taken advantage of.)

Most of the stores that we went in to plugged the information in their cash register and hit the US dollar button. The cash register than did the figuring. Maybe that's why Carnival recommends shops. They figure if there is any cheating going on ...

Thanks for letting me know where we can get transportation/cost, etc. Also for the "reminder" of asking for US change/money. I remember when I went some place before, they gave me back their change, and of course I could not use it. I always try to have a lot of $1's on me, that way I don't have to worry about them changing a big bill.

Actually I had not booked this cruise as yet, as I was waiting on my friend to tell me what kind of room she wanted. At church yesterday, she told me, NOW I can go ahead. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning on going on Carnival Paradise in April of next year. Part of the cruise we are going on, will be an oldies/rock & roll event. There will be 4 named entertainers/singers there.

If you have been on the Paradise within the past year, would you give me your pros/cons of the ship?

Also, if you have been to Catalina Island or Ensenada, Mexico, would you tell me what to see/do in a "short" span of time.

brneyes

My friend Ziggy and I have a group going on the Paradise on 4/26/10. We always do a lot of research and we will post all sorts of info as soon as we get it. So keep checking back under the Carnival forum or under our group area here:

http://www.cruisecrazies.com/community/group/25/

• 2 weeks later...