• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Need Assistance planning Europe trip

Rate this topic

Suzila

Hi all,

Haven't been here for awhile. "Life' has gotten in the way of my being online a lot. All is well, have some nice things happening with us...our oldest son and daughter-in-law are expecting our first grandchild in February, and our youngest son and daughter-in-law just informed us they are expecting in August. Needless to say, we'll be busy in 2010.

In addition, Ray and I are planning a Mediterranean cruise on the NCL Jade in October with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. They have never been on a cruise, and I have never been to Europe, hubby has been on many cruises, and was stationed in Europe for 4 years while in the Air Force, but never combined the two! So, it will be a new experience for all of us.

As usual, the planning will be up to me. Since I haven't been to Europe, I need some assistance from all you seasoned travelers. Here's what we are hoping to do:

The cruise leaves on Sunday 10/3, from Barcelona and comes back on 10/10 to Barcelona. I'd like to leave the Los Angeles area on Thursday 9/30 so we have a day to see Barcelona. Everyone we've spoken to says Barcelona is a must-see. The itinerary is as follows:

Barcelona

Monte Carlo

Florence/Pisa

Rome

Naples

Palma

Barcelona.

After the cruise we want to get on a train and go to Paris. How long does that take to get from Barcelona to Paris by train? We'd like to spend two nights in Paris.

Then go to London by train. How long does it take to get to London from Paris by train? We will be visiting Ray's brother living in Sussex...they haven't seen each other for 40 years. We'll probably rent a car and drive to Sussex.

So, my questions are: which books would you recommend I get to research all this? Which websites should I be looking at? When should I seriously be looking at booking airfare? Which hotels would you recommend (in Barcelona, Paris and London)...not super-expensive...just nice, and clean.

As you can see, I have no idea where to start. Hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hope all of you are well, and had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year to you all.

Hi, Sue, it's great to see you back here again. Congratulations to you all on your new additions - to - be. It's good to hear great news. Your trip to Europe sounds amazing. Wow, for Ray and his brother to see each other after 40 years- that will be some visit. Wish I could help you out, but I'm sure after New Year's , we'll be visited here by many who will be able to help you out. Have you won any more sweepstakes lately? Probably a silly question. So, let's hear.

Hi, Sue, it's great to see you back here again. Congratulations to you all on your new additions - to - be. It's good to hear great news. Your trip to Europe sounds amazing. Wow, for Ray and his brother to see each other after 40 years- that will be some visit. Wish I could help you out, but I'm sure after New Year's , we'll be visited here by many who will be able to help you out. Have you won any more sweepstakes lately? Probably a silly question. So, let's hear.

Hi Cheryl! Good to see you too! Yes, I've been winning a lot of nice things...a $100 american express card came this week, a $100 gas card, and a $25 gas card too. Won James Patterson's new book, "I, Alex Cross", which I've been wanting to read, but Ray gave me a Kindle for the holidays, so now I want to read on that, rather than in book form! LOL!

Also, won a really nice trip for my oldest son for the Richard Petty Driving Experience, for two people, but he explained to the sponsor that his wife is pregnant and won't be able to drive. They are allowing him to split the trip up...so he and his wife will be flying here to so. Calif, use the airfare, the hotel, the rental car, but my youngest son will do the driving experience with him. A 30 lap, 8 hour class. Both of them have done it before through a win, and they loved it, so they're looking forward to it. Won a bunch of other nice things, so, yes, my hobby is going strong.

I have 10 months before our trip, so will wait to see if anyone else answers my questions, but I'm getting antsy now to get started with planning. Bill, thanks for your answer as to how long it takes to get to London by train. That helps knowing that.