• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Onboard Cruise Activities

Rate this topic

live2ski

I have been looking into taking the family (wife, three boys (21,18,15)) on a cruise over Thanksgiving 2010. In looking at the number of cruises and ships out there I have found that there are a lot of ships that offer climbing walls, water slides, surf pools, etc. Is there additional charges for these activities? I can't seem to find that out on the cruise line websites. I would hate to stretch the budget and book a cruise on one of these ships and not be able to let the kids enjoy the added activities.

I do know that there is no additional charge for the rock wall but am not familiar with the other activites. Perhaps someone else can add what information they have. What ship are you looking at?

Not sure yet. I've just started looking and I don't want to choose a ship with extra options only to find out there are charges for them. It wouldn't be any fun if all we could do is watch.

Royal Caribbean doesn't charge for the rock wall, ice skating or the wave rider.

Extra charges are incurred on all the lines for game rooms, certain restaurants, soda cards, pictures, alcohol, spa services, and even some pools to name a few.

If you narrow it down to a particular couple of cruiselines I'm sure we can be more helpful.

Royal Caribbean doesn't charge for the rock wall, ice skating or the wave rider.

Extra charges are incurred on all the lines for game rooms, certain restaurants, soda cards, pictures, alcohol, spa services, and even some pools to name a few.

If you narrow it down to a particular couple of cruiselines I'm sure we can be more helpful.

I'm ruling out Carnival and NCL. I haven't seen much for activities on Celebrity or Princess, so a suppose that leaves RCCL.

We were not impressed with NCL Dawn last Dec. and we are afraid that Carnival will be loud. We have heard that Carnival is the party line and we just don't want to deal with that.

I use to travel exclusive on Carnival and then we gave it up because of it being a party line. Have to say that they have totally revamped their image. We did a back to back November 2007 and it was quite sedate.

We booked another back to back with them this November. Their prices are unbelievable.

I do understand what you mean by not wanting to be on a party ship. I guess it also depends on when you are planning to vacation. Surely if you plan a trip during a school holiday, you are bound to be surrounded by kids.

Debbie is right if you sail when school is out you will have tons of kids. The bigger the ship, the more kids, generally speaking. That can be an advantage for the kids, more people to get to know their ages.

I suggest you go pick up an RCI brochure so you can have a full view of their ships. Each class of ship is different and offers different amenities. All of their ships have rock walls but not ice skating rinks or wave riders.

I wouldn't rule out Carnival, their reputation has gotten better in the last few years, particularly on their newer ships. I have no recent experience with them and others here could help you with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed on Carnival Miracle a oouple of years ago and although it was fun, it did not come across as a major "party ship". We did incur a lot of kids (went in June), but this was only noted at certain times of the day. Guess it just depends....Lynn