• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Balcony...Mexican Riviera or Alaska

Rate this topic

Moiraine

So, my cousin and I are planning on doing a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor this fall. We would also like to do an Alaska cruise summer 2011. I'd really like to get a balcony for both, but I really doubt if the money will stretch that far. I'm thinking maybe a balcony for one and inside for the other. I think the Carnival ship for Alaska is Spirit. Which one do I get the balcony on (if possible)? I'm thinking that the Mexican Riviera cruise would be the better of the two. Think being outside on a cruising ship in Alaska would be chilly even in June! Are there good observation decks on the Spirit? I would imagine that I'd want to do a lot of looking on the Alaska cruise. Maybe I should split the difference and get an outside cabin? Any suggestions, advice, or comments welcome.

I've never been on a Mexican Riviera cruise but our 3rd cruise was the Alaska cruise and it was the first time we had a balcony cabin (the 1st two were Oceanview). I enjoyed having the balcony for the Alaska cruise (we went in July) because of everything there is to see on the Inside Passage and if it got too cold, you could duck in your room. Maybe it would be best for you to book an Oceanview room for both but I would definitely not have an Inside Cabin for the Alaska cruise.

My vote would be for the Mexican cruise. Weather is always warm and I think you will get more use from the balcony. We have been on the Spirit and there are plenty of spots for viewing.

I'm trying to talk my wife into a Splendor cruise this Spring, so far no luck. Our recent cruises on Carnival have been great and I'd like to see the Splendor. Been on the Mexican run about 15 times, but always have a good time.

By the way, Welcome Aboard!

Can't help with the ship but I have done both itineraries. I wouldn't get less then a window cabin on an Alaskan cruise......always something to see, pretty much 24/7. We have had excellent weather in Alaska including an 80 degree day in Juneau, but it's rare. The Mexican Riviera would probably be a better choice for a balcony in the long run.

I would go with the balcony for Alaska w/o a doubt. The views of Tracy Arm from our balcony will never be forgotten. This was early, like 0630 or so and it really wasn't that cold. A nice sweater or jersey did the trick. Actually the views were so amazing for a while I forgot how chilly it was w/ only a t-shirt on. :biggrin: I got up, got some coffee, tea and sweet rolls and we just had a nice breakfast on our balcony while viewing some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. :thumbup:

So, my cousin and I are planning on doing a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Splendor this fall. We would also like to do an Alaska cruise summer 2011. I'd really like to get a balcony for both, but I really doubt if the money will stretch that far. I'm thinking maybe a balcony for one and inside for the other. I think the Carnival ship for Alaska is Spirit. Which one do I get the balcony on (if possible)? I'm thinking that the Mexican Riviera cruise would be the better of the two. Think being outside on a cruising ship in Alaska would be chilly even in June! Are there good observation decks on the Spirit? I would imagine that I'd want to do a lot of looking on the Alaska cruise. Maybe I should split the difference and get an outside cabin? Any suggestions, advice, or comments welcome.

My son's girlfriend (senior in college) has cruised many times with her family who are Delta employees. I think she has been on over 20 to date. Anyway, she said the only one which she would ever pay the difference for a balcony on is Alaska. She said it was so amazing to watch the scenery from the cabin. She said that on all of the others they just wanted to be up on the pool deck watching from there.