• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ

Rate this topic

LynnS13

Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you have cruised out of Cape Liberty? I am hearing conflicting things and just wondered if some of you might not clear things up for me.....I hear that it takes awhile to get into the drop off place due to traffic issues...also, I heard that it is mostly outside and you wait under a tent? LOL...we are sailing in the Royal Family Suite...is there an inside place to wait until its time to board? Thanks for your help. I am fairly new to these boards, however I am getting hooked...lol...LOTS of information and kind folks! Thanks again, Lynn

this will be my third time leaving from there. Never had a traffic problem don't know what people are talking about a tent. I never saw one. I will say they have not put a penny into it since the first time I cruised out of there the first year it open till last time witch was 2008. It is not bad but not organized like a lot of ports like Baltimore NY Lauderdale or Miami. I don't like being transported from terminal to ship. Port security is rude. What ever don't take a picture of the ship in this port They (security) pulled there weapons out when I did. there is no place to stay in the area and eating places are hard to find. then again you are there for a short period and the ship is a lot of fun. I would not be back if it was not worth it. I hate the hassle of flying.

My girlfriend pack way to much to fly so we like leaving from the east coast. Prefer Baltimore. I hope this helps.

Joe

Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you have cruised out of Cape Liberty? I am hearing conflicting things and just wondered if some of you might not clear things up for me.....I hear that it takes awhile to get into the drop off place due to traffic issues...also, I heard that it is mostly outside and you wait under a tent? LOL...we are sailing in the Royal Family Suite...is there an inside place to wait until its time to board? Thanks for your help. I am fairly new to these boards, however I am getting hooked...lol...LOTS of information and kind folks! Thanks again, Lynn

Hi Joe!

Wow, very helpful! We live in PA, so it's only like 1.5 hours away for us. I have gone out of NY and liked that, but by going out of Bayonne, it's even more convienent. I don't know...someone was complaining on the boards about a tent, so I was like what??? LOL. Never sailed Royal before, so I am hoping for a good experience. We are staying in the Royal Family Suite on the Aft of the ship. Have u gone on Royal? What was your experience? Thanks again for replying.... :smile: Lynn

I love royal. My favorite line. Make sure you take in the ice show. They have an ok lounge for the suite passengers. drinks and cookies in the lounge just ok. Not along wait. I think RCCL has better shows than most lines. I find the food about the same. we like the pomade. The bars are really nice to listen to music at. What is your int. Maybe I can help you with some places we found to really enjoy. Let me know

Joe

Hi Joe!

Wow, very helpful! We live in PA, so it's only like 1.5 hours away for us. I have gone out of NY and liked that, but by going out of Bayonne, it's even more convienent. I don't know...someone was complaining on the boards about a tent, so I was like what??? LOL. Never sailed Royal before, so I am hoping for a good experience. We are staying in the Royal Family Suite on the Aft of the ship. Have u gone on Royal? What was your experience? Thanks again for replying.... :smile: Lynn

Lynn - Where in Pa are you? We are in Nazareth - a nice quick trip down 78 to the Bayonne terminal. Are you driving down to the ship? It's a very easy drive.

I am probably not describing where you drop off your luggage correctly. It is not a tent but a tent like covering to keep you out of the sun and any bad weather.

Joe is correct - do not miss the Ice Show - it is amazing what the skaters can do in a smaller area.

There is a tent covering when you pull up at the pier. This is seperate from the main building.

There should be no problem with the pick up or drop off. There may be a short wait to clear some drop off cars out of the area.

Yes. There is a building to wait in - inside - then they shuttle bus you to the ship.

As far as I know there is no building being built as a permanant place for the lines to use.

Even though they do have a long term lease to use the facility.

Maybe RCCL and the port or facility owner are working on who pays for what.

Thanks all for your responses!!

Marylou- we live in Stroudsburg...not far from u..just right up 33! We are taking limo service to the pier, so we do not have to worry about the actual drive and how to get there...lol. I did hear that the Ice show is a MUST, so we shall make sure to hit that...Joe, you asked about interests...I love to shop...hahaha. We plan to take the air tram in St Thomas and I love to walk around San Juan. I think its going to be a low key vacation. We are taking the kids and they have never cruised before, so it will be fun just seeing them enjoy themselves! Do any of you know if they have sushi on the Explorer>? This is one question that I haven't had answered yet. Again, thanks a bunch... :smile: Lynn