• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival "Family" Debate...

Rate this topic

Hi Tim...welcome to Cruise Crazies. I was on the Carnival Liberty last July, and quite a few people were dressed for the two "Elegant Nights." Very few tuxes, but lots of suits for the guys, and and some cocktail dresses, and sparkly tops and slinky pants for the ladies. There were quite a few who chose not to dress up, too, but you shouldn't be out of place if you want to dress up. Don't remember seeing many long gowns like on Celebrity or Holland America. Think I saw a couple. If you don't want to get dressy, no worries on this line. Hope you have a great cruise!

Guess I should add that we did dress up. Jerry squeezed himself in to his tux (he swears it shrunk from the cleaners) all four times (we did a back to back so we had 4 formal nights). I wore the same long skirt with a different top.

Like I said, we saw all types of "outfits", but the shorts next to us (to me) were really uncalled for. First they were totally drunk; next they looked like they came right from the pool, jacuzzi, whatever and thought, Oh Sh**, we better go eat or we won't get to eat.

Now I am usually not that fussy, judgemental, prickly, whatever. But I did see it as a total disregard to the dining staff.

For this Nov back-to-back, we are debating about not packing the formal wear. Certainly will make the luggage lighter!

I really do appreciate the input from everyone. Trust me when I tell you that my wife & I DO dress up for elegant (formal) night!! And have for the last 7 cruises we've been on. I never saw a reason for someone to be in shorts and a T-Shirt when eating LOBSTER!!! This is the one time (or even 2nd time) during the cruise you can act CIVILIZED!!! Not only do I feel it is rude to your fellow passengers, but rude to the TOTAL concept of going on a cruise!! There are numerous places to eat on the ship, 24/7 and if you can't find the time to dress appropriately, GO TO THE FREGGIN' BUFFET!!! Or to the Pizza bar!!! Your on a cruise, you WON'T go hungry!!! But PLEASE don't insult MY vacation (that I worked hard for and waited 9+ months for) by showing up at my table dressed like you made a wrong turn going to the Lido deck and wound up in the MDR on formal night!!! These people didn't pay for MY cruise, I don't show up at the mens hairy chest competion in a suit....don't show up at my table on Formal night dressed like a schlub!!! But then, that's just MY feelings!!! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the Glory Sunday, and we had 2 "cruise elegant" nights, and there were still a lot of folks in suits, and more than I expected still in tuxes (which I like, I look forward to breaking out my tuxedo). In fact, this sailing we saw more people in suits and tuxes than we did on either of our 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises the previous 2 years.

Just got off the Glory Sunday, and we had 2 "cruise elegant" nights, and there were still a lot of folks in suits, and more than I expected still in tuxes (which I like, I look forward to breaking out my tuxedo). In fact, this sailing we saw more people in suits and tuxes than we did on either of our 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises the previous 2 years.

Hey Cali...I'm assuming the Glory was a 7 nighter?? And there were 2 F.N.'s .?

Hey Cali...I'm assuming the Glory was a 7 nighter?? And there were 2 F.N.'s .?

Yep 7 night, the first and last sea days were formal nights.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Triumph in February and there were still quite a few people dressed "elegant", but very vew dressed "formal". We did not see anyone that was offensive, but when on the Fascination in October 2008, our table mates were... well... I guess "just a little bit country" would best describe them. On formal night, the gentleman wore a golf type shirt under his overalls which was a dramatic improvement over other nights.

I think Carnival has migrated from formal to elegant to accomodate those who do not feel they should have to dress-up, or for those who packing may be an issue. I will align myself with a previous poster and say I do not advocate one way or the other, but I did read a post a while back from a mother of 4 who stated that if she packed for formal night, the only time the shoes would be worn would be formal night, and she could not justify taking 6 extra pairs of shoes (herself, husband, and 4 kids) just for one night, so I guess I can understand that.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is more fun with friends. This is especially true with cruising. Invite as many friends and family members as you like, to join with you in this hilarious environment. Bring the whole family together for a vacation without the high-cost of the usual family-fun land vacations.

This place covers a number of activities, entertainment, and even meals! You can easily visit several destinations without having to worry about . So if your last family vacation involved more work than relaxation, then its time to consider a cruise. Do plan your vacation that your family will never forget.

________________________________________________________________________________

Victorian inn bed and breakfast ~ Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind ~