• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Next stop for the Crazie Explorers - BAR HARBOR, MAINE

Rate this topic

cruisetarp

A quick look at our next port - Bar Harbor, Maine   - A trip to Acadia National Park is a definate "must see"

The biggest draw to Bar Harbor, Maine is the 41,000-acre Acadia National Park -- one of the smallest National Parks in the country but also one of the most heavily visited. The park offers incredible mountain, sea, lake, cliff and coastline vistas, as well as an estimated 125 miles of trails, exclusively for hiking and biking. Additional highlights include the 1,532-foot-high Cadillac Mountain and the Thunder Hole water spout.

But Bar Harbor (or as the locals say it, “Bah Hahbuh”) has the charm of a quaint, New England fishing village with all the attractions of a major port, and its touristy downtown area is hard to resist. Watch the lobstermen work, browse the souvenir shops, explore a museum and, of course, enjoy a Maine lobster lunch. The town is nestled on the east side of Mount Desert Island, sheltered from the Atlantic Ocean by Frenchman Bay, and surrounded on three sides by the mountains of Acadia National Park.

Bar Harbor welcomes more than 100 ships annually, with close to 147,000 passengers going ashore. The cruise season spans from May well into October, when the fall foliage is at its brilliant peak.

Long before Bar Harbor was a popular port on Canada/New England cruise itineraries, it enjoyed a reputation as a playground for the rich and famous. In the late 1800's, frequent visitors -- such as the Rockefellers, Carnegies, Vanderbilts and Fords -- grew tired of hotel living and built their own summer "cottages" (in reality, opulent estates). Many also bought and donated additional land on the island to protect it from development, leading to the creation of Acadia National Park. Then, in 1947, a fire burned nearly half of the eastern side of Mount Desert Island and destroyed many posh estates, permanent homes and more than 10,000 acres of Acadia National Park. The surviving homes have now been converted to inns, guest houses and B&B's.

Today, Bar Harbor has a population of approximately 5,000 down-easters (a term used for the residents of coastal Maine). That number swells drastically in the summer, as the town continues its centuries-old tradition of attracting vacationers to its charming shores.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be in Bar Harbor from 7AM - 5PM  - This is a tender port but the tenders dock right at the foot of the main street in town.

Things t do here:

As I mentioned above Acadia National Park is wonderful and a great way to see the sights on the way there.    A stop at Thunder Hole is usually included in most tours and you will see and hear that Thunder Hole is deserving of it's name.   

This is definately the place to take a whale watching boat ride or even go out on the lobster boats to see them bring in their catch.    There are Windjammer cruises as well.    

The Bar Harbor Brewery offers tours of it's brewery located a short distance outside of town.  

The town itself is full of little shops and restaurants and a lovely view from just about anywhere.

More details to follow:

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO EXCITED I am jumping into my hiking shoes right now! My mouth is also doing the salavating trick due to all that lobster info. We did whale watching in AK and had one breech right next to the boat. Hopefully we will get to see some in Bar Harbor, Maine!

• 4 months later...

I just found a little blurb in my "Traveler's New England Companion" about a neat little side (walking) trip in Bar Harbor - Bar Island: "At low tide a causeway connects the town with Bar Island. Locals will tell you that you must time your visit carefully, or you might be out on the island for longer than you intended. To get to the pathway, from Main St. walk west on West Street to Bridge Street. You can also drive out on the causeway. But there's really no reason to do this as long as you are able-bodied. Once on the island you can ramble along the paths or rest along the shore with its view of the town."

We have been there a few times and if you get there near the beginning of low tide, you've got quite awhile before you have to walk back across the causeway.

I just found a little blurb in my "Traveler's New England Companion" about a neat little side (walking) trip in Bar Harbor - Bar Island: "At low tide a causeway connects the town with Bar Island. Locals will tell you that you must time your visit carefully, or you might be out on the island for longer than you intended. To get to the pathway, from Main St. walk west on West Street to Bridge Street. You can also drive out on the causeway. But there's really no reason to do this as long as you are able-bodied. Once on the island you can ramble along the paths or rest along the shore with its view of the town."

We have been there a few times and if you get there near the beginning of low tide, you've got quite awhile before you have to walk back across the causeway.

We too have been there. Don't forget the blueberry pie!!!!!!

Dress warm for whale watching gets very cold out on the boat.

Edited by jobowl