• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

How many cruises is enough??

Rate this topic

zebra

How many cruises to the Caribbean is enough?  How much money do we spend cruising the Caribbean and for some of us how much does it cost for each cruise just to get to the port?

With our wonderful 20/20 hindsight - couldn't we have traveled to more exotic destinations for the same amount of $$$$$'s.  

Just a question - because even though I am really looking forward to our Southern Caribbean cruise in 2 months, I just know that I could have cruised somewhere more exotic.

What's everyone elses take on this?  Are you interested in seeing, Tahiti, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia and for some even our very own Hawaii??

That's a good question Jackie. In my case, the Caribbean is so close and convenient, and still has so many places I haven't visited yet, each with its own culture, that I haven't had enough yet. You do have us thinking about Europe for a change next time around, but I know there are still more Caribbean ports I want to see.

For the most part, I agree with Rose.  We could stay on the ship and never leave it the entire cruise....that's when we cruise the Caribbean.....because we've done it so much.  I think if we went someplace "exotic".....like Tahiti, Bora Bora.....we'd get off.  Even VietNam....would love to see that area also.  Actually, for a while I was really intent on pursuing this and it turned out to be quite expensive with airfare to Tahiti added on to the price of the cruise (which wasn't bad).  I'd also love to do the Amazon River cruise....one way out of FLL or back to FLL.....with Manaus, Brazil being the first (or last) port of call.  And let's not forget the Mediterranean.  I want to see Rome, Venice, some Greece, some France, some Spain, some Egypt.....YES!!!!  I do want to see it all!  It does seem to be our luck that we have never been able to accumulate an adequate amount of money to pursue plans to visit these places.  If we won the lottery (meaning a "good amount".....like maybe six figures....)we'd be arriving somewhere in Europe, despite my husband's protests that he doesn't want to sit in a plane that long.....this coming from a former 82nd Airborne soldier.  He'll jump out of planes but won't sit for so long.  OY VEY!

We have friends who have done that type of cruising and always ask if we'd like to join them.  Maybe one of these days!wink.gif

Since we live away from the East Coast, we haven't done much of the Caribbean. The other factor for us is that we live in warm and sunshine year round so we like to venture to cooler places. I have looked into the Northern Europe cruises to Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia... cooler climates. Some day, though, I have always dreamed of visiting Switzerland and Vienna, Austria. My husband would like to do the Panama Canal and Australia, New Zealand.. I would love Hawaii. I'm looking forward to another cruise and land tour to Alaska in the next couple years. We've only done Eastern and Western Caribbean. I know there is so much more to explore.

We select the Caribbean because it is so affordable. Most of our cruises come to less than $100/day per person and that's a balcony cabin. I can't touch that elsewhere. We've cruised to Hawaii twice and that was very costly. Our 5 day to Victoria/Vancouver was more than the Caribbean. I guess the next cheapest (for us because we are so close) is Mexican Riviera. But I have done that one enough. So far, I have not tired of the Caribbean.

To address your next question, yes, I would love to travel elsewhere. But those trips are truly expensive. That would mean no "cheap" cruise for 2-4 years in order to save up for a big trip. Right now, I enjoy knowing that I can go on a cruise "almost yearly"