• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Royal Caribbean raises tipping guidelines

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

From the RCCL Website:

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: For new or existing bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: $5.75 USD a day per guest

For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011 the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: $7.25 USD a day per guest

Note: As of December 9, 2010, Royal Caribbean International is adjusting the suggested daily gratuities for dining and housekeeping staff. This is Royal Caribbean's first gratuity adjustment in 13 years, and puts our suggestions in line with our competitors. The new guidelines apply to new reservations made for sailings on or after July 1, 2011 These gratuities apply to guests of all ages

Doesn't surprise me.

We made sure that we tipped extra to those that deserved it and told them that it was extra. The room steward was extremely appreciative and gracious. He told Jerry and James that he actually yields less with the mandatory tipping. Not sure if that was a ploy to get more money or the truth. But the fact of the matter was, he deserved every bit of the extra that we gave him.

• 4 months later...

It sure does add to the expense of those on a cruise. I'm one of those who believe they should be making what they need from their salaries. I can't afford all of those gratuities, which is why I tend to make use of buffets and things so that it's not as much of an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I felt ths pain while recently booking our upcoming cruise in March....for 5 people, 11-days, in the Royal Family Suite....Not too "suite"....lol. I had not realized that there was an increase, but when I booked MTD, she told me what the gratuities would be per person as they need to be pre-paid for MTD...:thumbdown::ohmy:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...