• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Need Shore Excursion Tips

Rate this topic

BSCorvette

Thanks again. Yesterday I downloaded a book on Barcelona to my Kindle and then read up on the city. I'm going to do the same for all of these cities we are visiting. The books contain travel tips, descrptions, phrases in each language and maps! I love my Kindle! :rolleyes2:

I bought a plastic coated map of Venice in Barnes and Noble. Rick Steves writes some excellent travel books for Europe and other places as well. I had one of his books and he gave lots of less expensive alternatives especially for transportation. Try the library or the bookstore. Google his name and you'll find lots of links including some Podcasts.

Great cruise BTW. Barcelona is quite easy really as we found out. From the main plaza in the Ramblas there are hop on/hop off tour buses that cover the highlights by doing two routes. One per day was sufficient to see the main attractions. They run a loop all day so you can get off and on pretty much whenever you like. The busiest one was going to the Sagrada Familia. In the Ramblas area are plenty of attractions inc. shops and restaurants. Be sure to try the paella and some Sangria. smile.gif As for the port stops its best to avoid the ship tours and do it on your own. You can post on x for folks on this same cruise who are interested in sharing a cab to reduce the cost. There will be plenty of private tour guides or cabs just waiting in ports. If you are looking into what each port offers then pick what you want to see and get a cab, cut a deal and just go. You will love this cruise to be sure.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise in October which started out in Barcelona. We left the US on a Wednesday night (we're on the west coast), arrived in Barcelona on Thursday night, and our first tour was on Friday morning. Next time we go we'll give it one more extra day to catch our breath and not be so jet-lagged.

We stayed in Barcelona for 3 nights before the cruise and at the Hotel Royal Ramblas right on Las Ramblas. It's a 4 star hotel, very nice, quite reasonable, and they serve a full breakfast. The only problem with Barcelona is that no one ever sleeps there so it's quite a noisy city. If you book that hotel online, you get the free breakfast...here's the url: http://www.royalramblashotel.com/en/home/

We booked our own tours in Barcelona, just do a search on Google. The first day we had an all-day tour and it took us around to all the highlights. We loved it. The next day we did a half-day walking tour...it was just as good, but a lot of walking.

We were on NCL, and we stopped in Naples and Palma. We took tours from the ship. In Naples we went to Sorrento and to Pompeii...I'd definitely do those places again. Both really nice to see, and highlights of the trip. Palma was not a spectacular stop...but the Cathedral of Santa Maria of Palma is worth seeing. The rest of it I could take or leave. We did see Rome and took an all-day tour (9 hours) via the ship's excursion. We like doing that through the ship the first time we visit anywhere. It gives us a taste of 'everything' important to see and we don't have to worry about not getting back to the ship on time. Next time we go, we'll do it all on our own.