• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska in May

Rate this topic

rwams

Hi all,

Thinking about an HAL cruise to Alaska in May. How is the weather in May and any suggestions on what to bring as far as coats, etc. Last time I went in Sept and wasn't as prepared as I should have been. And any tips on baggage would be helpful.

Rick :biggrin:

We did Alaska in May a few years ago. It was colder than in July (we did July 1st). Also, lots more snow on the mountains. It was also very rainy, but that could just have been the year we picked to cruise there. Less wildlife to see. Almost no eagles. Just as many whales. No bears or moose seen on that trip. You may not be able to get too close to a glacier due to ice in the water. Some cruises will not see glaciers at all. All that said, it was still a great cruise. The prices are certainly better and that's always a plus. I would still do it again in a minute.

I live in Alaska and we are just starting to thaw out in May. If it is the latter part of the month, I think you will enjoy it. As mentioned, it May is our rainiest time of the year. Since I live here I think it is beautiful all year, even in the coldest of winter. Some people don't share my enthuisiasm and find June, July, and August to be best.