• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Keel Laying for Disney Fantasy

Rate this topic

mercedes

Disney Cruise Line celebrated the keel laying of the Disney Fantasy at the Meyer Werft shipyard last Friday. This is the second of two newly-designed ships that take the family cruise experience to all new heights. Sister ship to the Disney Fantasy, Disney Dream, entered service on Jan. 26, 2011.

The keel laying ceremony is a significant milestone in the ship building process when the first block, or section of the ship, is lowered into the building dock and a coin is placed under the keel for good fortune. Placing the coin was Karl Holz, President of Disney Cruise Line, assisted by Minnie Mouse.

The Disney Fantasy will offer many of the innovations that the Disney Dream features and brought to the cruise industry for the very first time, including AquaDuck -- the world’s first shipboard water coaster. However, the Disney Fantasy will feature a few new design elements and guest experiences that will give the ship a unique identity all her own.

The 4,000-passenger Disney Fantasy will sail week-long Caribbean cruises from Port Canaveral, Fla. with its maiden voyage scheduled for March 31, 2012.

I know that this is hard to believe, but I am not a Disney fan. Went to Disneyland once and wasn't at all thrilled. (Never was one for rides!) I already told Marcy that she will have to take the grandkids on the Disney ships without me.