• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

muster drill

Rate this topic

Unfortunately, these muster drills are often like a stewardess' pre-flight safety announcement -- they are ignored. We have too much of a sense that nothing will ever happen to us. I recall in a recent plane mishap that one passenger actually admitted to having not listened and then regretting that decision later.

• 2 months later...

I don't know maybe depends on how old you are. I usually do not even go. The cabin steward will come by, if they open the door i tell them i am sick and they leave. I am really sick of going to those things.

I read the evacuation route on the back of the door, follow it and check it out. I mean, eventually if you ever pay attention to anything on a ship you will probably do the evacuation several times during the course of the cruise. also, i make sure we have life jackets.

The reason i say this is because........once at the beach here in Florida my wife and i were swimming in the ocean. Beofre i knew it we couldnt touch. Calmly i asked my wife to swim with me a little more parallel to the shore....what you are supposed to do in a rip current....then we make our way to shore. Moral of the story......you read, hear or learn how do to do things in life but yet never practice them. When the time comes, in an emergency some not all people ....will know what to do.... some., many probably won't. it will be people like me with common sense and acting cool calm and collected that will save a life and many others.

Well thats how i feel. i have been to a couple but not all drills.

• 9 months later...

I have found that most people in an emergency Panic, not act according to what they should be doing. I also know that we (the ones that attend the drills) wait longer because we are waiting on the "no shows", so those people make the muster drill take longer. Seems that people, no matter how smart they are or how many cruises they have been on, would attend a mandantory safety meeting, if for nothing else, to keep those of us waiting from waiting so long. No way will I miss one of these.

You can get disoriented in an emergency and having some sense of where you need to go will help. Please people, think of those waiting for straglers and the ones who are hiding in their cabins. We are waiting for YOU. Get there, be on time and the drills wont take so long. Now that you don't have to bring your life jacket, you can go on your way afterwards, without a treck back to your cabin after the drill. If you wont do it for yourself, how about for the courtesy of the other cruisers who are standing there waiting .

I go to all of the drills...not something I want to play around with. I also listen to flight attendants when I fly. You never know what situation you'll be thrown into and I like to be prepared. One thing I do wish Carnival would be more vigilent about is getting people to shut up during the drill, so you can hear what's being said.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure that most sane folks are a little more attentive at the "Safety" Briefing (read in case the ship sinks drill). It is nice that one no longer has to haul a big Life Jacket around tripping over the trailing straps as they get tangled up in a mobility scooter axle. Some ships no longer make you line up next to the life boat, instead you can memorize everything from the comfort of a chair as you sip you favorite libation. This of course is the civilized way to conduct these very important activities. Should you find that you must attend the drill at the life boats, always plan on being fashionably late. It is much easier to endure this (what seems like 2 hour long) brief from the front of the line than squashed up next to some sweaty person holding a screaming kid whose diaper needs changed at the end of the line.

• 11 months later...

In over 50 cruises we’ve never missed a muster drill and we never will. Obviously we don’t learn anything new anymore, but it’s a simple matter of respect for the cruise line, the crew and our fellow passengers. That being said, we’re also very happy to be able to leave the life jackets in our cabin during the drill!