• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Port Of Call

Rate this topic

Hello to all of our fellow CruiseCrazies Friends.

Jackie and I are having some problems getting Information on the following ports. And where wondering if anyone can help with things to do and see.

Helsinki Finland

Hamburg Germany

Cork Ireland

Inverness Scotland

Liverpool U.K.

Some of these ports have two different docking areas, some are close to town and some are not. We are on a small ship for our cruise any information would

be very Helpful

We Thank You & Happy Cruising :cool2:

scalise12

• 2 weeks later...

John, I've been to Helsinki, Inverness and Liverpool. It's been a over a decade, so some things may have changed.

Helsinki is a fairly lively city, many parks and lovely shopping areas. It's pretty easy to get around, transportation is good; if it were me, I'd see what the cruise line recommends on their excursions, then simply go ashore, get a map and go to some of those places on my own. Jackie will enjoy the shopping there. Specialties are Rya rugs and scandinavian ceramics.

Inverness didn't have a lot going on when we were there. We thoroughly enjoyed hiring a car and driving out to Loch Ness, though. The gorse and the heather were blooming on the hillsides at the time. It was quite lovely. If you have a chance to hear the scottish harps, that would be special. Scotland is the home of the double-strung harps - quite brilliant and lovely sound.

Liverpool is a working-class city and, IMHO, best avoided. When we were there it was a jumping-off place for Ireland. However, the town of Chester is nearby, and that place is a lovely midieval town with half-timbered homes, inns and pubs, great shopping for antiques, and a well-preserved section of Hadrian's wall and other Roman ruins. Take your camera!!

Hope this helps...

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

re: Liverpool

This city has changed a lot recently and has a lot going for it and is a must see !

Check out the Albert Dock area, the two cathedrals, the Walker Art Gallery and let's not forget the Beatles !

I believe the city wants to rival Southampton as a cruise port.

Re: Inverness

May be biased as have family living there so have visited a couple of times.

Well situated city with the river running through.

Visit Urquhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness - in a wonderful setting.

CHARLES, :rolleyes2: THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE PORTS OF CALL, :thumbup: WE HAVE LESS THAN 4 MONTHS & COUNTING, :biggrin: WE ARE REALLY LOOKING FORWARD OF SPENDING TIME IN THE U.K., OUR MAILMAN IS FROM THE LIVERPOOL AREA HE JUST GOT BACK FROM VISITING HIS DAD & FAMILY.

AGAIN THANKS;

JOHN & JACKIE :rolleyes2: