• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Gluten free.

Rate this topic

hazelson

My dd had a question for me I could not answer - but I know you guys ca :o)

She has been diagnosed with Celiac diseas - and has to eat gluten free.

I have seen low fat, low carb etc. on menus but do ships offer gluten free choices?????

Would this be something she would have to request before sailing?????

I think Marylou can help you with this Jenn. Her Grandson I think is Gluten free and he just sailed with her on RCI. I do remember you having to request it early and then I'd check again with the head waiter to make sure they new before dinner.

Jenn - I did notify RC before we sailed about my grandson Colin. The head waiter came to our table every night to be sure he was getting everything he needed. The Assistant Waiter brought special bread for him every night. In the Windjammer we could always find someone to ask about what he could eat and not eat and if they weren't sure they went and found out for us.

My daughter in law (not believing that they would be able to take care of Colin) brought along a box of brownie mix and cookie mix. The waiter got a laugh out of it - said it was not necessary - but the next night brought both the brownies and cookies to the table which the chef had baked up for him that day. They wrapped them up for us and Colin then had snacks in his cabin. He had no problems all week long.

As a celiac, and someone with multiple food allergies in addition to gluten, I can answer this as well. I have learned to put together a list of foods that I can eat rather than the ones that I cannot eat (the cannot list is huge).

I bring 4 copies with me. I meet with the matre d as soon as we get on the ship and give him/her a list. If there is a host/hostess, that person also gets one. Lastly, my waiter and head waiter get a copy at dinner.

There have been a few cruises where my preferences were not considered and I ended up ordering salmon most every meal. Lately I have become extremely vocal. I say this because Celebrity went out of their way to make sure that I had everything that I could eat each and every meal. Even at the grill at the pool, the cook there knew what I could have.

On our last cruise, Carnival put all of my allergies in the computer and they were able to provide me with the menu each night for the next night. I preselected my meal from the menu and they were able to serve me just like everyone else. The hostess even offered to make me flourless chocolate cake but then realized that I could not have any sugar, eggs, dairy. I found the offer extremely endearing.

Breakfast is very difficult for me because I cannot have eggs or dairy. So I usually ask the waiter to have a salmon dinner with steamed veggies brought to my room in the evening. This has helped me tremendously.

I was eating almonds, sunflower seeds, almond butter and sunflower butters that I brought with me up until this last cruise when I developed a severe allergy to all of it. I probably had the allergy all along but I wasn't listening to the symptoms.

But, the nut and seed butters pack nicely and come in quite handy.

There are a lot of GF "bars" that I have seen others bring. I have also noticed GF pastries in the lunch buffet (clearly marked). So the ships are "getting it".

I am more than willing to share my experiences with your DD.

With all of that being said, I still bring GF food with me. I keep the things that I can eat in my stateroom and bring them with me when we are at port. While it's not alot of stuff, it helps.