• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What cabin do you prefer?

Rate this topic

My name is Mach and I am a balcony-aholic. On my sailings on which balcony cabins were available I've not had a balcony only once. So, I'm like 19 out of 20 balcony cabins. Some have been suites but all have had balconies. The one ocean view I had kept me knocking my noggin into the window as I tried to see outside.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I cruise to be at sea. Having a balcony allows me an opportunity to relax with the sea in view, the smell of the salt water in my nose and a breeze caressing me gently. A cigar, a glass of scotch and Stitch by my side out on our balcony... there is nothing better. It's a minor luxury that adds greatly to my cruise experience.

Sure, a balcony may be twice the cost of an interior but I find that easier to bear than missing out on that fantastic aspect of sailing.

Far and away, my favorite balcony cabins are the Cove balconies available on the Carnival Dream, Magic and Breeze. Located on the second passenger deck they are close to the water, perhaps 28 feet or so, and afford amazing views. You're so close to the sea that the speed of the ship is stunningly evident. If you lean over the rail you feel the spray on your face. Few other cabin locations can compare.

We were on the inaugural sailing of the Carnival Dream from NYC. We were forced into a massive Nor'easter that hosted 96 knot winds and 30 foot seas. The experience on our Cove balcony was AMAZING!!! Waves were breaking at eye level!! Out of port and just into the Atlantic the pilot boat came to retrieve the pilot and this is what I saw...

Dream223.jpg

Dream232.jpg

Dream236.jpg

The pilot boat approached, laid against the hull of the Dream, the pilot timed the pitching of the boat and jumped onto the deck. Once inside the wheelhouse they turned hard into the waves and away from the ship. Amazing.

Where else do you get a view like that other than a balcony cabin? If you can find one I'll take it!!!

-Mach

Far and away, my favorite balcony cabins are the Cove balconies available on the Carnival Dream, Magic and Breeze. Located on the second passenger deck they are close to the water, perhaps 28 feet or so, and afford amazing views.

We couldn’t agree more – we love Carnival’s cove balconies! That amazing water-level view is one of the reasons we’ve found to love river cruises as well – you just can’t get that on other big ships!

Once we had a balcony room I knew we could never go back. I love to sit outside and just listen to the ocean. I'd probably sleep out there if my husband would let me! It's my little space of Heaven on Earth!

Once we had a balcony room I knew we could never go back. I love to sit outside and just listen to the ocean. I'd probably sleep out there if my husband would let me! It's my little space of Heaven on Earth!

Isn't it amazing? The simple ability to visit my balcony any time I want and glory in the sea

Most balconies are a little on the small side but... as we've heard in the past... size doesn't matter! Just being there is the answer!!!

:wink2:

I love balcony cabins, though I have to say it was freezing out there during sea days in Alaska. So it didn't get used as much as we normally would. Glacier Bay was much better viewed from up top (if you don't mind the cold). I'm not sure I would spend the money on a balcony in Alaska again unless it was a great deal.

• 1 year later...

Looking back at how we answered this question over two years ago I think we’ve changed a little. We still must have a balcony for places like Alaska and Hawaii, but now we really want oceanview or better. We’d probably still take in inside room if was a really amazing bargain but we’ve found it’s too easy to oversleep and way too hard to get out of bed in those perfectly dark interior cabins.

What a good idea to re-address this question.

I agree. Two years ago it was a "we must have a balcony". Now that there is no smoking on balconies, Jerry and I are rethinking why are we paying extra for the balcony?

Sure, we love to sit outside and watch the world go by. But it really is for him to smoke.