• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Has Miami changed ?

Rate this topic

gogetter

• 4 months later...

My first trip to Miami was in '58. Miami Beach consisted of sand plus about a half-dozen one and two-storey motels. Downtown Miami was sleepy and slow-paced. There were a number of signs that read "Se Habla Espanol". By 1975, the sand in Miami Beach had been replaced by wall-to-wall hotels. Downtown Miami was definitely not sleepy and everything moved faster. By 1995, you couldn't get to the ocean in Miami Beach without going through a hotel. Downtown Miami had signs that read "English Spoken Here". Three years ago, I had to use my GPS to navigate the causeways and freeways.

We stayed in South Beach before our cruise last November. Very safe. Easy to walk along the ocean (sidewalk from start to finish) as well as along the main street - even with construction going on! Our only complaint was the cost! So expensive. We didn't rent a car this time so a huge chunk of change was for taxi service.

The cruise terminal is incredible! We were amazed on the transformation. Very clean, very orderly.

The airport is huge! Not my favorite one to fly in and out of simply because of its' size. We will fly to either FLL or Miami - depending on the price at the time!