• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The worst port to me was......

Rate this topic

gogetter

I also belong to Cruise Critics and after reading the stories about Jamaica and Mexico, I am going to be very cautious about what we do when we dock at those ports. Can someone tell me about Cozumel? My husband does not want us getting off the ship in Mexico because of all the problems going on. I would like to just go to a beach close by the port and just relax, but he would prefer to stay on the ship. Also, we are going to Montego Bay. I've head that some of the people in Jamaica are very pushy and I don't like people following us trying to get us to buy their wares. It is really sad that some of the ports have gone downhill with crime and other problems, but I say it's better to be safe than sorry. If I have to stay on the ship, then I will.

Cozumel is safe. You can walk off the ship and be very comfortable. The bad things you are hearing about Mexico are ports on the Mexican Riviera. (Pacific Side)

Montego Bay, however is not a port you should venture out on your own. If you stay with a ship tour group you should be okay. We were there last Sept and we walked off the ship and stayed in the fenced off secured area to do some shopping. It is safe but most of the shops have closed.

I agree with gogetter!! Belize was my worst!! The only thing for me that was exciting was the 30 minute tender ride in to the port!!! There is a "restaurant" on the dock right when you get off the tender. We decided to go there for lunch. Half the items on the menu were no longer available and the service was slower than molasses!!! All the port of Belize was, was one big flea market!!

We love Cozumel!

There's Chan Kanab Park (I'm spelling it phonetically). Take a cab there, not the excursion! Cheaper even with the entrance fee. It's a beautiful beach/park with wonderful walking paths. You can swim with the dolphis, or watch those who pay to swim with the dolphins. You can get a beach chair and hang. Take dips in the ocean. Walk along the beach. Walk along the park. Etc., etc. Jerry is not a sun worshipper and he LOVES Cozumel and Chan Kanab Park.

One time we rented jeeps in Cozumel (we gathered a group and did this on our own) and tourned the island ourselves. It's just a circle. One side of the circle is filled with hotels, restaurants and beaches. The other side is where all the trash gets dumped (very sad). We stopped at various places, locked up our stuff and went snorkeling. Very safe and lots of fun.

Lots of people take the excursion to the Mayan Ruins. That is truly an all day affair and while everyone says they are wonderful, beautiful, amazing, etc., they also comment as to how hot they were, how many stairs they had to climb and how many mosquitos they swatted! We have yet to go to the ruins because we really love the beaches in Cozumel.

We don't eat off the ship, so I can't recommend any restaurants. We do go in to the stores - especially the ones NOT ship recommended. We barter (usually half what they are asking). We make sure to take lots of small money because we don't want our change in pesos.

Haven't been to Montego Bay, so I can't weigh in on that port.

Where else are you stopping?

Hi Carol. The cruise lines would never take you to a port where you have to stay on the ship – they’ll change the itinerary before stopping somewhere unsafe. That being said, there are ports (like Belize) where you really should take an organized shore excursion, be it ship sponsored or third party.

Cozumel is definitely not one of those ports – we’ve been there ten times so far. Our favorite place to go is Paradise Beach: pool, beach, facilities, food, drinks, free WiFi – all top-notch!

We haven’t been to Montego Bay yet but we’ve been to other ports in Jamaica five times without any real issues. Yeah, some of the vendors can be pushy. Smile and say “no thanks” – be polite but firm – they’ll move on to someone else in no time.

And, no matter where you travel, you should always be aware of your surroundings but never let that detract from enjoying your vacation!

I can't think of a bad port, though I didn't feel comfortable in Jamaica from the minute we stepped off the ship. What saved Jamaica for us was our independent tour guide, Mark Morris. He took us to areas away from the port, told us all the good about the island and made it a great day for us.

Thank goodness I haven't been to a port that I didn't care for, but I'm really concerned about Jamaica. I think we will just do a little shopping around the port area, and that's it. I wanted to do a beach day, but when I'm on vacation, I don't like to be bothered so much with people trying to get me to buy stuff. I was reading on another cruise review site where one person was in Jamaica and a local came up to him and before he knew it, the local had placed a bracelt on his wrist and then tried to get him to pay a lot of money for something he didn't want. Thank goodness several other cruisers witnessed it and the man took the bracelt and ran. I've also read about people being approached selling drugs and I want nothing to do with that!!! Even if I'm staying on the ship, it's okay as I'm still on vacation. It's just sad that some of the ports have gone downhill. I'll see what happens when we get there.

Hahaha - sorry I'm laughing because I saw that I responded to this post before. When you hit _6 yrs, your mind just goes to jelly!!! That being said, I will try and do an excursion in jamaica. I've waited all these years to go, and as Michael and Amy mentioned, I shouldn't let that stop me. Just like we do here in the states, be careful of our surroundings, don't wander off , and stay with the group! That being said...I can't wait to visit Jamaica mon!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also would not go back to Ohco Rios because of not feeling safe. We were approched and asked to by drugs on our first, and last time there. Scary! Also don't care for Grand Turks...nothing there except MargaritaVille, a few shops, and a swimming pool. If you swim and do the beach thing, then you'll probably love it. We will be going back there in September since we are on a group cruise and it was one of the ports chosen by most of the people. I will have a chance to visit again and see if my dislike was mostly because it was so dang hot that day and I wouldn't have liked anything...LOL