• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Salvage or Scrap the Costa Concordia - What do you think?

Rate this topic

Jason

10 members have voted

1. 1. What's your prediction for the future of the Concordia?

• Will be salvaged and restored for future cruising
    • Too much damage, will be scrapped for parts
    • Too much damage, will be sunk on site

We've all seen the damage by now. The costs to salvage or scrap the ship will be immense, regardless of which decision is made.

So, what do you think will happen? Cast your vote and submit your comments!

salvage.gif

It seems to me it would be more cost effective to salvage the ship. It would need extensive repairs, especially on the hull. One problem that might be, would anyone want to sail on the ship under the Costa brand? I have a feeling the insurance carrier will determine the ship's fate. It may be salvaged, redone and sold to another line and renamed.

I agree with the thought of if being sold. I can't imagine it ever selling out under the costa name.

It seems to me it would be more cost effective to salvage the ship. It would need extensive repairs, especially on the hull. One problem that might be, would anyone want to sail on the ship under the Costa brand? I have a feeling the insurance carrier will determine the ship's fate. It may be salvaged, redone and sold to another line and renamed.

I agree that it will probably be salvaged. To scuttle the ship involves either moving the ship to deeper water or letting her rust in coastal waters (which are too shallow, anyway - she ran aground, right?) If the ship were to be moved, then it is effectively halfway to the salvage facility - once having lifted her, she can be moved a distance without much more trouble than to move her a half mile. I don't think that Costa can sail her again - probably not even Carnival.

I don't know anything about these things.......but I thought it probably would be scrapped for parts. I don't think I would ever sail on her if she were refurbished, no matter what brand she sailed under.

I had made up my mind way before this happened that Costa was not a line I would sail with for lots of other reasons; I would be curious to hear from people who have really enjoyed sailing with Costa - has this changed their minds?

I'm not so sure that she couldn't sail again under Costa. I find it amazing how short most people's memory is. If they change the name, most people wouldn't know the difference. That said, I think that if it is restored, it will sail under some other company's flag.

I think the best option for this ship to to scrap for parts -- other than the obvious cost factor to completely overhaul the ship once it is righted, who would want to sail on her? I sincerely hope she will not need to rest permanently in front of the port in Giglio for obvious environmental reasons.

On another note, I have sailed Costa Mediterranea in Jan. 2008 only because it was an "oldies" cruise in the Caribbean. We had decided that we would never sail Costa again for several reasons. First, the staff's customer service was completely lacking; second, too many Europeans who cut in lines & pushed people out of their way, etc.; third, this cruise line is over the top in decor (modern) which we dislike. There are many American-based cruise lines which we like & have confidence in; i.e., Azamara, Celebrity, Princess just to name our favorites. P.S. We would never sail Carnival again as our experience was similar to our Costa experience.