• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New safety rules announced by the cruise line industry

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

Now all cruise ship passengers will get safety briefings before leaving port. The muster drill must take place immediately rather than within 24 hours as currently required under maritime law. Also, cruise lines will now be required to give immediate muster drills to any passengers joining the ship after the drill has taken place.

Because of the Concordia incident we believe this new policy was needed. What's your thoughts? We wonder if there would have been less deaths if this policy had been in place?

Click to read

As usual, it's reactive - not proactive. They should think of these things before people die from the chaos that Concordia had an abundance of. Also, the muster drills should address the potential for the ship listing to one side.

This, for most cruises, is no change at all. Almost every cruise from an American port already does this. Now be honest, how many people are actually listening to the briefing? Maybe you do, but I just came back from a cruise that sailed within a week or two of the latest sinking, and looking around at the other passengers during the briefing was hillarious. Very few looked as if they were listening at all. Talking between themselves, or even to some of the crew. Some were already obviously a bit inebriated. There were some listening to the Captain, but not a very high percent.

As far as being proactive, how many cruiseships have actually sunk in the last 20 years. You could probably count them on one hand. And there was little if any loss of life until the latest (of course any death is unacceptable). Passing these rule are reactive, but how do you be proactive if the captain breaks the rules. Maybe the cruise lines should just make sure that their Captains know what they're doing. Almost all of cruiseship sinkings are from human error.

I am not against drinking, but alcohol related deaths far outnumber deaths from sinking. Maybe cruiselines should be a bit more proactive when it comes to serving passengers who are obviously drunk.

I am not against drinking, but alcohol related deaths far outnumber deaths from sinking. Maybe cruiselines should be a bit more proactive when it comes to serving passengers who are obviously drunk.

Howard & Cindy

I really do agree, Howard! Obviously intoxicated passengers can really create havoc. They can put the whole ship at risk just like that passenger who dropped the anchor! I would think the risk of fire (if they smoke) would be greater as well. I've been told by some crew members that they are reluctant to cut off a passenger because that would "anger" them and then the crew member would be in trouble.... not sure quite what to make of that!

WE CAN SEE MORE CHANGES COMING TO THE CRUISE INDUSTRY, THE CRUISE INDUSTRY NEEDED A WAKE UP CALL.:excl:

The Costa deaths account for about .00000107% of the people that cruised within the last year only. That will not amount to any LOUD wake up call. The US NHTSA admits that we have an EXTRA 2000 highway deaths per year due to lightweight fuel efficient vehicles crashing with larger vehicles. But if a kid swallows a button off a teddy bear, that company is put out of business immediately. We have odd priorities.