• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Did You Ever See A Dog On A Cruiseship?

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

Oh wow. I guess I didn't realize it could be a service dog because it was just so tiny , so adorable and the woman was carrying it around . The way she had it decked out in fancy outfits, jewerly and all, it didn't even occur to me that it could be a service dog. That will teach me not to judge a dog by the way it looks. Very true, Rose, it could have been a seizure dog or something of that nature.

Wow - what a coincidence to finally come back from our cruise and read this. Cheryl - I think that woman was on our cruise or someone who thinks just like her. Her very small dog was decked out in a fancy collar and leash with some bows and jewels in her hair. I did a doubletake and sure enough, it had a small red blanket on it that had a symbol in a circle and the word service on it! That was a first for us! The woman also did not appear to be disabled in any obvious way....

Andi, next time I will look closer . The dog and it's outfit were just so precious that I wasn't thinking in terms of it being a service dog- just a

very pampered pup.

Debbie, I would think it was tough on the dog not to be able to run around a bit but it was so tiny and maybe it was used to this kind of life. Who knows?

The major cruise lines only allow service dogs. Cunard is the only line I know of that does allow pets on the Transatlantic and World cruises. They have kennels below and the dogs are walked daily by the crew.

My husband and I saw a lady on Mariner of the Seas with a tiny dog she pushed in a special stroller. She took it into the buffet and everything.

There are licensed emotional companion dogs here in Ca. They can't be denied even to live in Apartments without pets. You have to have a doctor fill out the application to get one.

When I worked in the Cruise terminal in San Francisco years ago, We used to work the Old Regal Princess 10 day turn around for Alaska and Mexico. One sailing to Alaska the ship welcomed 200 blind guests and their dogs. It was an amazing thing to witness. They brought a huge roll of sod and laid it on the top deck so the dogs could play and use the bathroom in comfort, Yes there were other cruise guests on board who were not part of the party, but they all said they had a spectacular cruise, the dogs were wonderfully behaved of course, and it was said they all had a fantastic time as well.