• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

travel insurance

Rate this topic

gemcrusier

We have booked both ways. It just depends which cruise line we use. On Princess, we get upgraded to their better insurance and we use that, but on other lines, we look around for what's available. We have never had to use the insurance, but there are others on the board that has.

We generally do not book through the cruise line because many of them do not cover pre-existing conditions. We book privately and have only had to use it once. Insurance covered a visit to the ship's doctor and some $100 eye drops. Would not travel without it.

On travel insurance we started out buying our own but now we just go with the cruise line. We've been fortunate as we've never had to file a claim. Rita did have to go to the ship's doctor once, however we were reimbursed by our group health plan.

We have purchased both. Have to read the fine print to make sure that the insurance covers pre-existing conditions, cancellation for any reason, FULL refunds, etc., etc. Some of the less expensive plans don't cover much.

My theory is that I really cannot afford to give away the money if I have to cancel the trip and didn't have the insurance. So I'd rather spend the few extra $$ and "protect" my investment.

We usually buy through Travel Guard....it was just a habit we started when there were cruise lines that were running into trouble. I doubt that any of the big lines today are going anywhere, although if you are cruising on a small ship line (remember Cruise West) it might be an issue. Insurance through the cruise line won't help if they fold. We have had to use it for a hotel stay when our flight got cancelled due to bad weather. Everything worked fine.