• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

how formal to wear at formal night ?

Rate this topic

slphjp

Hi im new here me and my husband are looking in to go on a cruise in jan and would love to know how formal is it like prom or short prom dress my husband is a member of royal caribbean but he has not been on a cruise for 10 years. And we are going for a 5th year anniversary and we want to make it awesome any ideas

thanks

HI there! I've been on several RCI cruises and I can tell you that the formal nights are usually more semi-formal than FORMAL. There will certainly be some who are in full-on formal wear like tuxedo's and evening gowns, but for the most part the women are dressed in a pretty dress or a nice skirt or pant suit and the men are usually in slacks with a tie with or without a sport coat, suits seemed a little less common, especially on our last cruise. The point is, you're on vacation. You'll never be turned away if you are dressed respectfully. If you don't want to dress up at all, you can always go to the Windjammer for dinner where the dress is casual every night.

Have fun!

If you want to dress formal, go crazy. The me and wife always love to get all dressed up in our best. She has a formal dress and I have a tux. We always get our pictures taken from the staff photos, makes for some great memories. But on the other hand if you hate dressing up or a suit and tie is everyday wear for you, skip the formal just bring your swim gear or casual cloths and have a great time. Really a cruise is about being flexible. You and you husband celebrate it with what makes you excited and happy. No matter is its in your swim gear or tuxedo and formal dress!

• thanks that helps a lot sences its been 10 years back then everyone was dressed up. me i have been on one cruise and i was 3 and dont remember anything at all hes been on 5 of them. so iam really excited about it i keep asking him to make up his mind so we can say what ship and when we are going between a 7 night bahamas and a 4 night bahamas or a 5 night carribean.
    thanks

By all means dress formally to celebrate your anniversary if you are conformable doing so. Cruising has changed over the years and is now a little less formal. It has not affected us as we still like to dress up.

Also, welcome aboard the CruiseCrazies ship, slphjp! :smile: :smile:

I split the difference. I bought pants for a tuxedo and a two pleated shirts with studs, two cummerbunds and a velvet dinner jacket and shoes. The jacket and shoes can be worn with black pants and an open-collar shirt and nobody notices anything amiss!

We’ve found it varies by cruise line or itinerary. Alaska seems less formal. 3 or 4 night cruises are always less formal than longer cruises. Celebrity is more formal than Carnival, etc. Like others have said, as long as you respect the cruise line’s suggested attire you should dress how you like – it’s your vacation!

On RCCL formal nights, you see a lot of variety. Like someone else said above, it seems to be more semi-formal, but we have seen people in tuxedos and formal gowns, although the majority seem to be not quit that fancy.