• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Why not use an agent instead of doing it yourself?

Rate this topic

rcuised

And the following from the Palm Beach Post:

Why should you consult a travel professional?

Many cruisers have the misconception that booking directly with either the cruise line or an on-line discounter will, in the long run, save them money. Let’s explore why this might be a fallacy in the long run:

• “If I book directly with the cruise line, I’ll get the lowest possible rate.”

The cruise line is an “order taker” and is looking at a pricing matrix identical to the one that I use. The rate they give you is the “published rate.” Just try asking for a discount, on-board credits, or other “freebies.” If the cruise line isn’t giving it, the reservation clerk is certainly not taking it out of their salary. Good luck! Because of some agents' companies’ tremendous presence in the cruise industry, they have incredible “clout” when negotiating rates with the cruise lines.

Often an agent can give you a better price than that which is published on the cruise line reservationist’s screen. And, food agents always provide you a little extra…a bottle of wine, champagne or chocolates.

• “If I run into a problem with an on-line “discounter”, I can always get assistance.”

Many of my current clients were previously “burned” by an on-line discounter when it came to resolving problems. Folks, “stuff happens.” Let’s say your flight to the port is delayed or cancelled (it’s happening more frequently than you can imagine). You find that you’ll miss your ship’s departure. You call your on-line discounter: “May I speak to Linda” “Linda Who?” “Uhh…The Linda I booked my cruise with” “We have 12 Lindas working for us – may I help you?” “My flight to <….> was cancelled; what do I do?” “Call your travel insurance company (assuming you were offered trip insurance)” “What’s their number?” “I don’t have it”, etc. etc. Book with an experienced, professional agent, and I guarantee I’ll be available 24/7 to solve any problems that may arise.

• “My on-line discounter will provide timely, knowledgeable information about the ship, the cabins, their preferred location, dining options, dress codes, port information, tipping, alcohol policies, itinerary changes, tour options, cancellation policies, special dietary options, local weather at the various ports, etc.”

If you believe this, I would love to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. Most of these “order takers” have never even been on a cruise ship, let alone to the worldwide ports of call. I’ve been on over 50 cruises, on 10 different cruise lines – from river to contemporary to premium to deluxe to luxury! My itineraries have taken me to Mexico, the Caribbean, China, New England and Canada, South America, Asia, the Baltic, all throughout Europe. Part of my JOB is to impart this experience to my valued clients!

So the next time you plan your cruise, please allow me to use my experience, knowledge, and 24/7 customer service (perhaps at a price slightly higher than the on-line discounter or COSTCO) to insure that your cruise investment will provide you the maximum in enjoyment value, and security.

• 2 weeks later...