• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

2014 Crazie Med Cruise

Rate this topic

RayColey

The consensus seems to be that there are only a few "musts" on this cruise (but they are daunting, to some degree). On the western side of Italy, Florence/Rome/Naples are requested quite regularly. On the eastern side, Venice is on just about everybody's list (and I absolutely agree with them!). Most everyone wants Athens plus a Greek island, and quite a few want Turkey (which generally includes a stop at Kusadasi, which I think is a "must" if you're going to Turkey). Although I've seen cruises that do Italy, Greece and Turkey, I haven't seen one that starts in the Mediterranean, goes up the Adriatic and then comes back down to continue in the Mediterranean. A cruise that goes up the Adriatic will normally include a port in Croatia - Spit or Dubrovnik - so all of those ports would result in nine ports. How does everybody feel about nine ports in two weeks? Personally, I think I would opt for two sides of Italy, say from Florence to Athens, and save Turkey for another cruise (that would go from Athens to Istanbul, with stops at Greek islands and Turkish ports along the way)... Comments?

I hear your dilemma Ray.

Truthfully we want to include all the abovementioned ports and don't have a problem with 9 ports. I understand this is an issue for others and totally respect that. I feel at this stage I will be a bystander and see how this plays out ...... as we have done Italy pretty extensively on both cruises and land vacations, and we TOTALLY love it - don't forget we are Italian South Africans - Albasini .... we just feel that there are so many places we have yet to see or experience.

We will respect whatever your decision is - so please don't put our wishlist ports into your research and I am sure you guys will come up with a fabulous cruise for everyone to enjoy.

Hey who knows ..... we have so many places on our wishlist, life is so short that we may even forego Europe and travel elsewhere.

Ray please don't feel bad about being able to please everyone. Thanks so much for all the time you have already put into the research...... it is much appreciated!

Ray...what you say makes sense. Thanks for looking into things. It seems like it's just so early to tell if the ships will keep the same itinerary for 2013 in 2014. I have done some looking, and found different cruises on Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival with good ports, and time in the ports, but these ports are 2012 ports right now...they could change.

John...thank you for the post, and your offer. Not sure yet what everyone wants to do, it is so early.

Jackie...sure hope you will come.

Andi..it seems like everyone is concerned about too many ports with the walking, and uphill and all. We do need some sea days, for sure.

I agree with all that was said about the port intensive itineraries. Europe is definitely work but at the same time a totally amazing experience. We are planning to go back to Europe in 2014 but we may opt for a different itinerary, but I never rule anything out! I'm looking forward to our Greece/Turkey experience next month.

Well, it really looks like: 1) there is a lot of interest! and, 2) we still have a lot of research work to do - no problem, since researching a cruise is a major part of the fun!!!

• 2 months later...

If you were looking at late August, September or early October, I could start saving $$. I just priced out an October 2013 to Europe and the balcony was about $1300/person. Unfortunately the air was $1500/person. If the total package is about $6,000 then we cannot afford Europe (even with a 2 year notice). So price needs to be a consideration for us as well.

Debbie - you have echoed my sentiments exactly. $6000 is a lot of money for a couple of weeks and that doesn't even include hotesl before and after the cruise. I would rather use that money to have a 6 week vacation in South Africa - all inclusive. It's a shame that airfares have become so, so expensive to Europe ......

• 4 months later...

I had a hard time finding this thread so I'll bump it up.

We're mainly looking for an itinerary that includes Italy and Greece. Any additional stops would be fine as well.

We received a brochure that Disney Magic now sails the Mediterranean, which might be fun. We also love Royal Caribbean. We're not Carnival fans, so will not likely book with them. No disrespect to those who like Carnival. We just don't care for them.

Early summer is still best for us; something in June would be great.

Just adding our wish list to the thread.