• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise preference. Ship or destination or both

Rate this topic

Just had this conversation with Marcy last night. She wants to try the new Mega ships. I told her that as long as they were 2-3 times the cost of the other ships, we would not consider them. Now if all the ships were in the same price range ...

For instance, our Carnival Freedmon 9/22/12 trip is 3 times LESS than the Oasis which leaves same day, goes to same places!

• 3 weeks later...

Routes usually take 2nd to price to us. We are also not a fan of the "superships" We also always look at flights to see if we could get "lucky" but I agree most of the time the flights are just as expensive as the whole cruise. Now since St louis isnt a huge hub anymore most airlines dont even offer us direct flights. We typically drive, it takes an average of 12 to 15 hours but our price is lower than the flights when we do the math. As of now I dont think we have even considered one of the large classes of ships.

Edited by ChrisMorgan

The itinerary is usually first, but the ship is almost equally important. And of course, the price. I have given up a few cruises ship choice to go with friends, though.

Rose, you are scaring me...now I will have to figure in saving a lot more than I thought for airfare for our Med cruise. Yikes!

Definitely the ship over itinerary for us. But cost is the major factor over both. I would choose the Oasis/Allure over any other ship if we could justify the cost. I'm not seeing those ships running double or triple other ships, but they are about 50% higher for the 4 of us for 7 or 8 day itineraries on Carnival. But that's also the case with many of the other RCI ships as well (Freedom and Independance are all in the same ballpark as Oasis and Allure in January during the week I'm looking at). But I'm also not going to go on a favourable itinerary that's cheap on a ship I'm not interested in.