• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Caribbean cruises leave wave of bitter merchants

Rate this topic

Jason

We have been to Jamaica when we go we dont use the ships excursions but go out on our own and have to say that we see a whole lot more when we do that.They are not going to take you no where dangerous and all of our guides have been very nice and taught us a lot about there culture we had one guy in jamaica take my wife to get some curry chicken when the line wasnt moving he took her up front and helped her get the chicken so they have been great.I always use the town people for my excursions not the cruise lines I find I get more for the buck.

rrpcande, I agree. I wonder if we used the same local tour guide. :laugh: Our guide split up the tour - most people went river floating, while he took my family to his dad's pottery shop. Then he took us for jerk chicken, came in with us and even ordered for us. It was a very personalized experience we could never have gotten with the cruiseline. I have used both cruise line excursions and local tour companies and have been happy with both. The decision to go with the ship's excursion or the local guy is usually based on destination, the time involved, and price.