• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

On a Cruise, Maintaining and Losing Weight

Rate this topic

Jason

Kevin...I agree with Gymbrat on that one...I do think we get a lot of salt from foods from the ship, or from just eating out at restaurants at home. My ankles swell up a lot when on a cruise, and I've heard of others that that happens to, so, it seems to be the salt, also the humidity. When that happens I just drink all the water I can for a couple of days and the swelling goes down...have to balance the salt and water.

I have usually gained a few pounds on a 7 day cruise or land vacation, but I agree that it is temporary weight gain, as it comes off within a few days after returning home to my own cooking. At home, more fish and chicken and less beef or other meats. Dessert only on Sundays at home. And I use low or no fat dairy products at home and control the salt.

But I go on a cruise to enjoy the food, things I wouldn't make at home. And my preference in cruise lines tends to be driven by what I think of their food.

Interesting remarks, everyone...just thinking back to my second cruise which was my two-week honeymoon cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It was my husband's first cruise, and he was so happy with all the food and midnight buffets and everything that he came home with an extra 12 pounds or so. My folks picked us up from the airport and just laughed a bit at the extra weight on his tummy...with his sombrero on and the extra weight he did look cute...LOL I think I did gain on that cruise, too, but only about 2 pounds. We have learned since that we don't have to eat everything, and that enjoying what we want in moderation, and doing all the walking is the best way to keep from gaining. For me these days, although I have a weight problem, I rarely gain on a cruise. It's all the walking, which is so good for us. The bigger ships today also force us to do extra walking so that's a good thing... if we are able to do it. We also usually book late seating for dinner, and then avoid the midnight buffets... or whatever they have to offer now on the ship after hours. At home when I'm up all night I tend to snack (on a diet now) because I sometimes don't go to bed until 6 AM. Crazy, I know...LOL When on vacation, I do force myself into some regular hours and then I don't always need the snacks in between either.

We go on cruises to have fun and we do enjoy the food--including desserts. We don't go to the gym, however we seldom take the elevators as the stairs make great exercise equipment. We also walk around the ship a few times after breakfast and lunch and we dance in the evening. On our last cruise, which was 10 days, I gained 3 lbs which came off a week after arriving home and Rita did not gain.

I still think that the vacation weight gain is from everything cooked in butter, lots of salt and the truly yummy desserts. And I agree that once you get home and get back to your routine, the vacation weight should come off. It's the continued cruise eating that will get ya!

...and taking the stairs as much as possible. Also saves time waiting for the elevator.

Great point on the saving time Kevin! One time we took the stairs eight decks to the buffet while Mom & Dad took the elevator – we were already at a table with food and drinks when they arrived after stopping at every deck to let people on and off the elevator! Less elevator time means more cruise time! :biggrin: