• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Allure of the Seas 02/03/13...anyone going too?

Rate this topic

dooney

This magnificant ship was docked in Ft Lauderdale when our ship was returning. Everyone getting off said that they loved the ship and loved the cruise.

Congrats on your first booking. I so remember our first cruise. Can't wait to read your posts as you get closer to your sailing and then when you return.

Well, we are just a few days out now from our very first cruise...EVER! Allure of the Seas....02/03/13. All the docs are in, online check-in is done, show reservations are made, pre-and post-cruise hotels booked, passports and I.D's are in hand.....and multiple packing lists have been written and re-written.......and at this point, my biggest dilemma is this......

HOW THE HECK DO I GET ALL OF MY CLOTHES, SHOES AND ACCESSORIES TO FT. LAUDERDALE WITHOUT PAYING LUGGAGE OVERAGE FEES....LOL. I WANT TO TAKE IT ALL AND CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME.

I know...I know. You are all saying...."Seriously, what is up with her?" "Doesn't she know that she won't need or be able to wear all of that?"

Well....the answer is.... Yes, I do know all of that, but I tend to dress based on my mood and how do I know what mood I'll be in on any given day of the cruise. And....from this vantage point, I actually see me wearing it all, but not all of my perceptions have played out realistically....LOL. The thing is.....I find that the planning and packing part of trips are a very big part of the fun......BUT.....I do need to temper my propensity for over-stuffing 3 pieces of mid-grade Samsonite.

My friends in cruising......Please.......TALK ME DOWN!

Thanks for listening to a first timer cruiser! (Sorry....but the writer always comes out in me...)

Jan

I tried the 2 black bottoms and various tops one cruise. I got bored with the look - but it sure helped with the minimizing in packing.

Shoes are the worst! You really need to select the one dressy pair that you will wear to dinner, the one pair that you will wear most of the time (for me - sandals) and sneakers (which I wear on the plane because they are the bulkiest).

I wear the same outfit on the plane coming and going and I carry my sweater and hat on the plane. (I get cold in the dining rooms)

I pack two pairs of shorts and 3 t-shirts and wear them during the day. My bathing suit cover up is a shift-like dress so it "doubles" when we are at ports that need something more than the bathing suit look.

My carry-on doubles as my bag when we are at ports so I really stuff it. I don't bother with a purse. I put my wallet, etc., in that carry-on bag. (Yes, I look like a bag lady!)

My biggest over packing is the toiletries, hair do-dads, creams, potions and lotions.

Hope my tips help.

Have a blast on cruise number one!!!

Hi there, Jan. Welcome to the site. You must be so darn excited. I know a group of line dancers that sailed the Allure in October and still can't stop talking about it. Can't wait to hear all about it . As far as the packing goes, for me, that's the worst part of it- decisions, decisions. I always take too much but I always squeeze in whatever I can just in case....... I 'm always a "just in case" person, anyway.

Debbie, great tips on doubling up and saving room.

Hope to hear all about your cruise . Again, welcome. We hope you'll become a regular around here even when you're not cruising.

From one Jan to another - welcome to CruiseCrazies and congrats on your first cruise - you will have a blast! :)

I hear you. Packing makes me crazy. :blink: The rule of thumb for packing is fill up the suitcase and then take out half. Of course, I tried it and it doesn't work, because I always find more stuff to add at the end. :laugh: Try compressing things in plastic bags - it makes more room in the luggage and less wrinkles. For formal wear, I take one black skirt & 2 tops. No one is going to care if I wear the same skirt twice. I travel size bottle of Downy wrinkle release or Febreze will freshen up clothes so you're more likely to wear them more than once.

I had a double ankle fracture 6 years ago, and that has solved the problem of what to wear on my feet. Flats. That's it! :biggrin: Comfortable walking shoes for excursions, sandals for all the time, and dressy flats or sandals for dress-up nights. They don't take up much room in the suitcase, either.

I bring travel size toiletries and depend mostly on the ship's soap, shampoo and lotions which are more than satisfactory. I minimize the makeup on a cruise - except for maybe formal night.

My husband is a light packer, so we can manage to get all our stuff in one check-in bag.

Important note! Be sure to keep all your important documents, a change of clothes and a swimsuit in your carry on bag in case your bag gets lost or is late getting to your cabin. Documents go without saying, but the swimsuit means you can go hang by the pool in your bikini even if your luggage has not arrived yet. :smile:

I once met a couple who were getting married on the ship. They arrived to port with just a carry on between them, and she had her wedding dress slung over her shoulder. So, I guess it can be done and depends on what you're willing to live without.

Enjoy!

Edited by sunluva7

Thanks DebbieandJerry.....Lots of great tips there. I can go with nearly everything except the shoe limitations.....shoes are my definite weakness. If I have them, I'm gonna take 'em. I may be sorry, but my feet will be well dressed...at least...LOL.

I do appreciate you taking the time and for the well wishes on this very first cruise. When we return, I will fill you in on our impression of our week at sea. I am sure that it will be indescribable in so many ways, from what I am hearing.

Jan

Hi GottaCruz......I am so excited that I can't even sleep. At this point, we have about 5 days and I am counting the minutes.

Glad that the line dancers had such a great time. It must be awesome!

Yes, the packing is fraught with decisions and changes and multiple list making. I am just like you.....in that I always go with that saying, "Just in case"......or "what IF I need it?" We raised 7 children and I couldn't go out the door without a huge bag of "What IFS"......I guess I never got over that.

I will definitely let you all know about this very special first cruise.

Thanks so much for responding. I soooo appreciate that!

Jan