• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guns on Cruise Ships - Your thoughts?

Rate this topic

Jason

Guns, guns, guns - All over the news.

Given the large amount of media coverage over the raging gun debate, I can't help but wonder how guns are viewed in the eyes of the cruise vacation industry. Guns are something we certainly don't see shipboard security walking around with, but does that mean they aren't there behind the scenes, just in case? Some food for thought:

● What is the cruise industry's stance on guns for security personnel?
● Is there a "secure" vault aboard each ship, should it be needed? If so, who would have access to this? What would those policies be, regarding the access and use of such a contingency?
● Is it a good or bad idea to store guns onboard?
● Perhaps each cruise line has their own policy for storing guns onboard?
● Maybe the onboard gun policies vary depending on the cruise itinerary such as areas prone to pirates?
● If there are no guns onboard, what type of weapons does security have at their disposal, in a worst case scenario?
What are your thoughts?

With all the nutty people in the world there probably should be guns on board. I don't see anything wrong with having them on a cruise ship under lock and key and only at the disposal of trained personnel. These days you never know.

Why would a ship need guns? Modern day pirates. Call me crazy, but you hear about a cruise ship encountering them once in a great while, and I would feel better knowing that the ship is providing some sort of armed protection against those who want to do harm to the crew and passengers.

I’m sure each cruise line has its own policy and I’m sure none of them would be willing to share that information. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that there were a few guns securely locked away for the most extreme circumstances, but there’ll be a long list of things they have to do first.

There is definitely a risk of pirates and terrorists today. I would agree that someone highly trained and trustworthy should have access to locked up guns in case of emergency. I remember a few years back when terrorists gained access to a ship in the Mediterranean and threw a man in a wheelchair overboard.