• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

A third CCL ship with mech. trouble

Rate this topic

jacketwatch

So it's interesting to say the least. It seems very unusual as I have never seen anything like this before. Do you think CCL needs to aggressively improve their ships maintenance policies or is this some weird coincidence. For me three times is a red flag and they have to seriously shore up how they inspect and maintain the seaworthiness of their fleet. What do you think?

I definitely think CCL needs to further examine their electrical system. If my home were to be repeatedly tripping circuit breakers, risking a fire, I would have that electrician over here overhauling the system quicker than you can say "Carnival".

Once or twice - I would say a freak coincidence. But after three times, cruise travelers will be re-thinking CCL when making their next booking.

Keep in mind that it was while the Dream was in port and they were doing just that, testing the emergency diesel generator, that the problem occurred, so that it didn't occur at sea, underway.

"While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted."

I would also suggest that one researches the three incidents... they are totally separate and totally unrelated. True they are all on a Carnival ship. Fuel return line on the Triumph, Back up Generator on the Dream, and an Azipod problem on the Legend.