• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

My first negative post about RCCL (and I haven't even sailed yet)!

Rate this topic

Sarge6870

On our last cruise (Celebrity, not Royal Caribbean, but I think they have the same policies) our table mates were a couple with two kids (ages 11 and 12). For booking purposes they had one parent and one kid in each room but of course switched on board. Since each was booked with a minor the Dad was able to get the drink package even though the Mom didn’t want it. They didn’t abuse it though, at least not in front of us.

That’s the long answer to your question Linda. The short answer is, “Yes.” :smile:

That's too funny......I just noticed that my avatar shows me holding a bottle of beer (was holding my friend's beer in the photo)....sorta gives lie to my statement that I don't drink :rolleyes2:

Royal Caribbean isn't the only line that does this. So does Carnival and other lines. It is to keep people from abusing it which is why they had to do away with it years ago. They lost a lot of money. If the 2nd person in your cabin is a minor they are not charged, it is only for traveling adults per cabin. I don't like it either because while my husband can drink I may have only one drink a day so it isn't worth it. I do understand the policy though from a business point of view.

We actually added up how much our family drinks per cruise and found that it's much less expensive than buying these drink packages. So we just don't do it. But it's not just Royal, most cruise lines now have the same policy so please don't hate on Royal because of this.

We actually added up how much our family drinks per cruise and found that it's much less expensive than buying these drink packages.

That's been my experience with the drink packages as well, whether it's soft drinks or wine.

But it's not just Royal, most cruise lines now have the same policy so please don't hate on Royal because of this.

You know, I guess I should look at it that way. Even though it's our 9th cruise, I have never purchased one of the beverage packages. We always just bought the unlimited soda card for Chrissy. Guess it was just a hurdle I didn't expect. I'm going to be open minded and excited about being on RCCL for the first time. Nothing like sailing on a ship for the 1st time and on a cruise line for the first time. And nothing like...well...just being on a cruise!!!!! :biggrin:

But it's not just Royal, most cruise lines now have the same policy so please don't hate on Royal because of this.

You know, I guess I should look at it that way. Even though it's our 9th cruise, I have never purchased one of the beverage packages. We always just bought the unlimited soda card for Chrissy. Guess it was just a hurdle I didn't expect. I'm going to be open minded and excited about being on RCCL for the first time. Nothing like sailing on a ship for the 1st time and on a cruise line for the first time. And nothing like...well...just being on a cruise!!!!! :biggrin:

I really don't think the packages are a bargin at the prices per person per day all the cruise lines charge but Royal is a GREAT line and I think you will be very pleased! I'm a travel agent and have sailed on just about all of them but am partial to Royal because their staff just seems to be the best, they are always friendly and eager to please. I also think Royal is a class act and so hopefully you will too! I would definitely recommend reserving the specialty restaurants if you are thinking about trying them. Have a great time!

I'm sure you are going to LOVE RCCL - and especially the Jewel, my favorite ship. With them relaxing the "bringing wine onboard" rules .... it's great to be able to bring on 2 bottles of wine for the cabin. As we are noe Diamond members, we get free drinks in the evenings which helps the budget stretch too......