• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Is Carnival Too BIG

Rate this topic

Swath

Given ALL The Recent TROUBLE Carnival Has Had,

Do You Think That Carnival Corp. is Just Too Big

Carnival Corp = Carnival + 9 Other Lines

* AIDA Cruises, Germany
* Carnival Cruise Lines, U.S.A
* Costa Cruises, Italy
* Cunard Line, United Kingdom
* HollandAmerica Line, U.S.A
* Ibero Cruises, Spain
* P&O Cruises, United Kingdom
* P&O Cruises Australia, Australia
* Princess Cruises, U.S.A
* Seabourn Cruise Line, U.S.A

Edited by Swath

The problem I see with Carnival is the same with many big corporations. They worry more about short time profit for the investors, where if they did proper maintenance and provided the proper money for maintenance they would have larger long term profits instead of lining pockets with money. They push things as far as they can until things go wrong.

So do I think Carnival is to big? Not if they start putting money back into the product instead of stock holders pockets. I believe they have some good products they just need to maintain them.

I don't think having so many lines is the issue. When Warren Buffett buys another company for Berkshire Hathaway, he lets the company continue to manage itself; but he buys well managed companies.

Each of those lines has its own management structure, and should be able to operate semi-autonomously.

The problem I see with Carnival is the same with many big corporations. They worry more about short time profit for the investors, where if they did proper maintenance and provided the proper money for maintenance they would have larger long term profits instead of lining pockets with money. They push things as far as they can until things go wrong.

So do I think Carnival is to big? Not if they start putting money back into the product instead of stock holders pockets. I believe they have some good products they just need to maintain them.

IIRC Princess Staff/Employees

Wanted to GO with the Royal Offer When P&O Put Prnicess up for sale But Carnival Outbid Royal.

If Carnival Sold off a few of their lines they could use the Monet to do what Has to be Done.

Edited by Swath

I don’t know, it wasn’t that many years ago that Norwegian seemed to be having one huge problem after another… including an explosion and a fire!

Carnival Corporation & plc (the ten companies mentioned above) owns over a hundred ships. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (made up of five companies) owns about forty ships. All things being equal – like a roulette wheel with 100 red spots but only 40 black spots – you’re much more likely to have an issue on a Carnival Corp owned ship but your chances of having an issue on any one ship, regardless of owner, are still equal.

I don’t think any other cruise line (including the other nine owned by Carnival) has announced that they are adding similar safety features and redundancies to what Carnival is planning. (And if anyone already had those features they’d be crowing about it for all to hear!)

Sure, an extra extra backup generator on the ship makes sense now, but seatbelts in cars make sense now too even though that wasn’t always the case.