• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

And The Bad Press For Carnival Continues........

Rate this topic

A massive search is underway for a young couple missing from a Carnival cruise ship. The unnamed 26-year-old woman and 30-year-old man were last seen on the Carnival Spirit on Wednesday as it was sailing off the coast of Australia, and local authorities says security footage from the ship shows them going overboard around 8:50 pm.

An Australian news outlet, The Australian, quotes a local police official as saying it's too early to say whether the couple fell or jumped off the vessel. In a statement sent to USA TODAY, Carnival's Australia office says the couple was discovered missing early today after the ship docked in Sydney, Australia at the end of a 10-night sailing. A search of the vessel was begun immediately, it says.

"We have naturally been concerned since we became aware that two passengers were missing from Carnival Spirit, and our thoughts are clearly with their families at this difficult time," the statement says. "We are working closely with New South Wales Police and assisting them in their inquiries."

The statement says the couple were traveling with family and friends, and "out of respect for the families," the company won't be making further comment for now. A statement from the local New South Wales police department says an air and marine search and rescue operation is underway off the coast of Australia to find the couple. The search is focusing on an area of the sea about 60 nautical miles east of Forster, Australia, the statement says.

SOURCE: USAtoday

I feel badly for the family left behind. I hope they find some answers. Though this can and does happen on any vessel at sea, it isn't helping Carnival's image, especially when the cruise line is prominently displayed in the headlines. I hope attention is focused on what the heck happened with these people and what their family will have to endure rather than on the name of the cruise line.

UPDATE: As being reported today via USAtoday, it seems the mans girlfriend jumped overboard and he followed her 20 seconds later as reviled by the onboard camera footage. The search has been called off and the couple presumed dead at this point. Not sure if he was trying to save her or not but it seems it would have made more sense to call the pursers desk and announce "Man Overboard". They would have contacted the bridge and the vessel would have stopped and there would have been a chance of saving her. By him just going in after her, very little chance.

The complete story via the USAtoday site can be found here........

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/05/10/carnival-cruise-missing-passengers/2149385/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheCruiseLog+%28Travel+-+The+Cruise+Log%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

UPDATE: As being reported today via USAtoday, it seems the mans girlfriend jumped overboard and he followed her 20 seconds later as reviled by the onboard camera footage. The search has been called off and the couple presumed dead at this point. Not sure if he was trying to save her or not but it seems it would have made more sense to call the pursers desk and announce "Man Overboard". They would have contacted the bridge and the vessel would have stopped and there would have been a chance of saving her. By him just going in after her, very little chance.

The complete story via the USAtoday site can be found here........

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/05/10/carnival-cruise-missing-passengers/2149385/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TP-TheCruiseLog+%28Travel+-+The+Cruise+Log%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

That would make sense, Tim - to call "Man Overboard". But he probably wasn't thinking clearly in the moment, perhaps panicked and just reacted with his first thought - which was to jump in after her. Either way, I always wonder what goes through people's minds when I hear of an event like this.

Seems like this should be all about the people who jumped and really has nothing whatsoever to do with the cruise line. From the way it’s described this could have just as easily happened from the balcony of a resort hotel – something we heard about with surprising regularity when we lived in Las Vegas.