• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Port of Galveston the 2nd quickest growing U.S. cruise port. Who's sailed from?

Rate this topic

Jason

The Port of Galveston ranks as the fourth busiest cruise port in the U.S. based upon embarkation according to a recent study prepared by Business Research and Economic Advisors (BREA) for the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). In 2012, the Port of Galveston, Texas’ only major cruise port, welcomed 863,000 passenger and crew, which is 4 percent of all passenger and crew visits at U.S. ports.

With over $1.2 billion in direct spending and almost 20,000 jobs paying nearly $1.1 billion in total income, Texas accounted for 6.3 percent of the industry’s overall spending nationwide. The state ranking rose from fourth to third. The Port of Galveston embarked approximately 604,000 passengers and was the second fastest growing cruise port in 2012.

Next year will prove to be even better for Galveston’s cruise business, with the addition of Royal Caribbean International’s Navigator of the Seas year round operation offering Texas vacationers roundtrip seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries throughout the year and the continued year round operations of Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Magic and Carnival Triumph.

"The Port of Galveston is committed to remaining in the top 20 cruise home-ports worldwide. We are dedicated to strengthening our existing relationship with the cruise industry and increasing the economic impact to the local and regional communities.," said Mike Mierzwa, Port of Galveston Port Director.

The Port of Galveston, Texas’ Star Cruise Port serves as the primary point of embarkation for cruises to the western Caribbean and the Bahamas and handles over 1.2 million cruise passengers annually. Three cruise lines, Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, and Royal Caribbean International, sail from Texas’ premiere cruise port.

By Teijo Niemelä, Cruise Business Review

For more cruise news & articles go to http://www.cruisecrazies.com/index.html

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more

http://www.cruisecrazies.com

Click here to view the article

It's no secret, my love for that sparkling island just down the road... And it really is a wonderful port to sail from. The cruise terminal is just a block over from the wonderful Strand historical district, with so many neat shops, places to eat, bars, etc. set in gorgeous architecture enveloped in an air of deep history.

I'm just so happy to see Galveston finally rebounding and doing so well... It has been a long 5 years since Ike, and the island was definitely down for the count for a while, but has come back better than ever. While it may be kind of a pain to never be able to get a parking spot anywhere near Murdoch's on the Seawall or anywhere on the Strand anymore :tongue: , I'll gladly take the inconvenience to see my island thrive again.

-gina-

Edited by crazy4disney

• 2 weeks later...

I've sailed from Galveston a dozen or more times. We love the Island and crossing the Causeway is always a highpoint at the beginning of our vacation.

There's a TON of great places to hang out the night before a cruise... we prefer The Spot on the seawall but there are many just as good.

Carnival has invested many millions of dollars in the cruise terminal there and it's really very nice! We're Platinum w/Carnival and on our recent cruises we've been on board with access to our cabin by 11:30 AM. What a great way to start a cruise!

Hotels are very fairly priced and there's a huge selection from Super 8 to 5 star hotels like the amazing Hotel Glavez. Look at the price range you're interested in and you'll find a great place to stay! Many offer free transfers to the cruise terminals and free parking for cruise guests.

Carnival currently is the only line offering year 'round sailings on two ships, the Magic (the second newest ship the line has) and the Carnival Triumph (the most recently refurbished with fabulous upgrades!!) RCCL will be joining Carnival with year 'round service next year.

Even if you're not looking for somewhere to sail from and just some place fora quick getaway Galveston should be at the top of your list of potentials!!!

C'mon down!!!

So why are cruises more expensive out of Gavelston?

The answer to that is pretty simple... demand. All Carnival ships sailing from

Galveston sail full with few discounts. Galveston is one of Carnival's highest profit homeports. That's why they got the Magic when so many other ports were vying for her.

The folks from this area, especially the Texans, are very appreciative of Carnival being here and are willing to pay a bit more to sail from here rather than having to travel further. Please consider that the State is 900 miles east to west and getting to Galveston from some spots in Texas is a major undertaking... why travel further?

:)

We love the Port of Galveston. It's a 5 hour drive for us, but way better than flying somewhere. Last time we went to Florida the price of the plane tickets was more than the price of our 8 day cruise!!

We love the Port of Galveston. It's a 5 hour drive for us, but way better than flying somewhere. Last time we went to Florida the price of the plane tickets was more than the price of our 8 day cruise!!

How right you are, Huntm! We live in San Antonio and it's 4 1/2 hours for us VASTLY cheaper than flying to any of the ports in Florida or even NOLA. We've developed a ton of friends on the Island who are always happy to see us and our friends when we get there for a cruise or even to just hang out for the weekend!

Even with a few lines coming to Bayport I don't think it'll change our cruising habit much. Galveston has become our 'homeport' and the folks there have worked hard to keep it that way!!

Gotta love it!!

We will be trying out NOLA in Jan. Driving there too. I predict 8-9 hours, but I really wanted to see the Sunshine before she left for Florida.

It's going to be different. We know Galveston so well :/

We will be trying out NOLA in Jan. Driving there too. I predict 8-9 hours, but I really wanted to see the Sunshine before she left for Florida.

It's going to be different. We know Galveston so well :/

NOLA is a fine port, wonderful things to see in do in the City but be prepared for pretty high fees for parking at the port! $17/day last time I checked. There are less expensive options available with shuttle service... a quick Google search will turn them up with rates as low as $8/day!

For us, it's a ten hour drive.

One of my favorite hotels in NOLA is the Maison St Charles. It's a charming hotel has has a cruise parking option available! www.maisonstcharles.com

If you need any other information about the port just let me know!!!