• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Propulsion problems aboard Celebrity Millennium

Rate this topic

Jason

My pleasure Mach :smile: During the Triumph mishap, I was one of the main (I guess you can say) "bashers" against how the media was reporting the issue. ESPECIALLY how CNN found it necessary to have video footage for 24 hours. I watched about 15 minutes of the coverage before it became like watching snow melt!!! Boy, did the members here go back and forth bashing the media!!! It was GREAT!!! :biggrin: During our cruise on the Triumph a few years prior to the incident, my wife of (then) 20 years and I renewed our vows on-board. The Captain officiated the ceremony as well as sat with us for some wine (he had iced tea), they had a three tier cake, a crew of 5 to serve us, we received a renewal of vows certificate from Carnival and we had friends from a prior cruise that were our best man and maid of honor. Carnival did an AWESOME job. In no way at at no time during this incident, did I downplay my plans to sail with Carnival in the future!!!! Glad you enjoyed the video :wink2:

Sarge, u are reading into my post. I am referring to the cruise industry in general and managements handling of problems. For example, the response and lack thereof by the luxury line that not only failed a health inspection, but proceeded to hide rotting food in their cabins. I question managements stonewalling the problem. As I said, mechanical problems will happen and in most cases the crews responses have been outstanding. The entirely separate issue is a quick and fair response to the passengers affected.

Sarge, u are reading into my post. I am referring to the cruise industry in general and managements handling of problems. For example, the response and lack thereof by the luxury line that not only failed a health inspection, but proceeded to hide rotting food in their cabins. I question managements stonewalling the problem. As I said, mechanical problems will happen and in most cases the crews responses have been outstanding. The entirely separate issue is a quick and fair response to the passengers affected.

Good point, Howard. I highlighted the exact same thing regarding the failed health inspection you remarked about. There's a MASSIVE difference between a mechanical failure and an intentional effort to hid evidence of outright inexcusable abuses of regulations designed to assure minimum standards the keep passengers and crew from food related illness.

I do have to say that Carnival has shown great responsibility and leadership in the area of ensuring passenger comfort in the event of failure of propulsion or power generation system. They're investing $300,000,000 in fleet wide upgrades to these systems that will assure power and air conditioning to all cabins and power the galley should something untoward occur.

If you look at which shipbuilders have been involved in the construction of Carnival ships they're the same organizations that build for other lines. It doesn't require a huge leap of logic to assume that the propulsion and power generation systems are much the same from cruise line to cruise line, meaning that other lines are likely targets for the same issues that have impacted Carnival in the recent past. As I mentioned previously, it's not a matter of if it will happen but WHEN it will happen.

For the record, while my fav line is Celebrity, I have been on two Carnival cruises and enjoyed each one greatly. That's why there are so many choices out there. I have never had a bad cruise. Way better then being at work.

An excellent choice, to be sure. Every cruise line has its pluses and minuses, fans and detractors, As long as YOU are happy with your choice then that's the cruise line for you.

Sadly, there are a couple of cruise lines who make a habit of slandering other lines in order to boost their position in the eyes of their faithful...

As for publicity I think the fact that this mishap occured in port vs. at sea with no propulsion makes a huge difference in terms of passenger accomodations. If the Mille lost power at sea like the Triumph then probably there would be more made about this.