• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Disney bans smoking on cruise ship balconies

Rate this topic

Jason

Another line has strengthened its smoking policy. In the latest shift, Disney Cruise Line (www.disneytravelagents.com) announced it will ban smoking on stateroom verandas for all Disney ships. Disney had already prohibited guests from smoking in any stateroom or suite.

"From time to time we make adjustments to our operation based upon guest feedback," the line said in a statement. Effective November 15, 2013, "Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs onboard Disney Cruise Line ships."

Disney isn't alone. Celebrity Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Oceania Cruises and Princess Cruises are among other lines that do not permit guests to smoke on balconies.

Smokers can still light up, though, on guest balconies of Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian Cruise Line and Carnival Cruise Lines.

Disney does not allow smoking in any staterooms, suites or interior spaces on its ships. But "to provide an onboard atmosphere that also satisfies smokers, portions of open-air decks on each ship are designated as smoking areas," the line said in its statement.

What happens if guests violate the policy? Disney says those found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee.

That fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.

What do you think of this News?

By Travel Agent Central

For more cruise news & articles go to http://www.cruisecrazies.com/index.html

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more

http://www.cruisecrazies.com

Click here to view the article

OK, you asked so here I go....... When I go on a cruise, I respect everyones "space". Non-smokers have a right to not being in enclosed areas where smokers may dwell. I truly believe that due to the ignorant act of smokers (and by the way, I smoke) throwing their butts overboard can be detrimental to the vessel. If that butt is still lit, and blows back into another balcony or other open space on the vessel, it can start a fire. BUT, smoking in the United States and in other countries is LEGAL. I tend to be more offended by some drunken passenger that never said "no" to another DOD on the ship, becomes arrogant and intrusive to MY space. And you can drink anywhere on the ship. But yet, alcohol consumption is ALSO legal. Disney states that the $250 charge is "That fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.". What I don't understand is they are addressing this about smoking on the "balconies" of their ship. I don't see how smoking on the balcony would require them to replace filters, carpet cleaning, the cleaning AND replacement of drapes (why would you clean them and also replace them?), comforters, blankets and pillows along with balcony cleaning and maintenance! I always thought the balconies were OUTSIDE" and separate from the cabin!! And, in open air, what cleaning and maintenance has to be performed on the balcony??? I'm sorry but any cruise line has the right to alter their policy for the best interest of it's passengers, but to come up with a line of rhetoric to explain their reasons boggles the mind. I would have been more receiving to this policy change if they just stated they were doing it in the best interest of their passengers.

I personally don't want to breath cigarette smoke inside or outside. I have sat on my balcony breathing smoke, and getting a headache, from nearby balconies. I like the ban; however, if I were a smoker, I'd probably be against it.

And as I stated in my post Kev, you have every right to your free space. What my wife and I do is we usually wait to see if our neighbors smoke. If we don't see them smoking, we ask if us smoking would disturb them. If they say yes, we only will smoke on the balcony when our neighbors aren't on theirs. In my opinion, I feel there are other approaches to smoking on the balcony, the first being respectful of one's neighbors. We had a cruise where a group of early 20's kids booked two adjoining cabins next to us. They would have a party every night sometimes up to 1am. They had a radio playing, were throwing things like plastic beer bottles overboard, were loud and obnoxious and had absolutely NO respect for the other passengers. Sure, we called the pursers desk to complain. All of a sudden it would get quite for about 15 minutes and then the party started all over again. They were never removed from the ship at any of the ports we visited. Never heard if they were fined for their disrespect (like Disney want's to do with their $250 "recovery fee") and we put up with this for the entire week of the cruise. My point, is you can't address one circumstance without addressing the other. It was also my point that the reasoning Disney is using (by having to clean all the interior cabin items when your smoking on the balcony) is an insult to my intelligence. All they had to report was that they were doing this for passenger comfort and safety.

I am not a smoker. I used to be and quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. That and the severe effect on ones health that I have seen over my 34 yrs. of being a nurse makes me passionate about this.

Disney still has designated smoking areas, just not the balconies and I support that.

Sarge whatever cruise you were on completely failed in the situation you mentioned. I would have complained in person every day and escalated it as far up as possible. However measures taken to curb smoking and we have had many over the yrs. are due to awareness of the sometimes fatal physical effects of tobacco don't compare to a group of rowdy kids. They cause aggravation but not emphysema, heart disease, vascular disease, cancer and so on.

Please try to quit. Smoking can only harm. It does no good. Sorry if this offends. It's not my intention. It's just that Imam truly saddened when I see people smoke, especially if they are young.

Incidentally Disney also relaxed their dress code to allow shorts in the MDR, even on formal nights.

Sarge, I must commend you on your level of courtesy. I am afraid many individual from the smoking community don't show the level of kindness and consideration that you do. However, it is true, I have been outside many times on the balcony only to smell smoke from my neighbors, and the neighbors don't have to be adjacent to my cabin. Believe me, They can be decks below or several away from me, I am getting all the blow back to the ship in my balcony.

Jerry is a smoker. He also asks fellow balcony neighbors if the smoking will bother them. Most of the time we have found that our neighbors also smoke.

I can see Disney's point of view and they are entitled to their rules. Just means we won't be cruising on Disney.

Vinegar removes any smoking odors!! While I don't permit Jerry to smoke in the house, his clothing still smells. I have a small, open container with vinegar in it. No smells at all.

. Disney states that the $250 charge is "That fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.". What I don't understand is they are addressing this about smoking on the "balconies" of their ship. I don't see how smoking on the balcony would require them to replace filters, carpet cleaning, the cleaning AND replacement of drapes (why would you clean them and also replace them?), comforters, blankets and pillows along with balcony cleaning and maintenance! I always thought the balconies were OUTSIDE" and separate from the cabin!! And, in open air, what cleaning and maintenance has to be performed on the balcony???

Sarge - I just updated the "Cruise Line Policies" section of CruiseCrazies to reflect the new Disney smoking policy, and I think I can answer your question. The lingo about the filter replacement, carpet cleaning, and everything else that would apply to a cabin was already in place when the policy only applied to the stateroom. Now that they've added the balcony to the no-smoking policy, they retained the same language, now encompassing the entire stateroom/balcony. All they did was add the words "and verandah".

Princess has had the no balcony smoking policy in effect for a couple of years, and on our most recent cruise I was very grateful for no tobacco smoke permeating the beautiful, crisp air of Glacier Bay!