• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Have You Ever Tipped Extra? Have You Ever Removed A Gratuity?

Rate this topic

Sarge6870

My Tipping Policy  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever tipped extra (above the Auto-Gratuity)?

• No, the amount of the auto-gratuity is fine.
    • On occasion, when a crew member has gone above and beyond their job.
    • Yes, we have and still do on every cruise.
  2. 2. Have you ever removed an auto-gratuity for a crew member?

• No, never thought about it.
    • Only when a crew member failed in doing their jobs.
    • Yes, we tend to scrutinize crew members in every aspect.

We give extra $$ to those that have gone above and beyond and we let them know that this is "just for them". But we also like to give them something from our home town. This year I'm thinking refrigerator magnets, pictures of Arizona, maybe even an Arizona Highways magazine.

Whenever someone that I work with travels, and they ask me if I want something, I always say, can you bring me a postcard from where you were? You don't need to mail it. Just something that depicts the highlights ...

Great idea. We are going on the Oasis of the Seas in November. I've got an Arizona Highways magazine sitting on my coffee table that has some beautiful photos. I hated to toss it because the photos are so pretty and show the diversity of our state and this is a perfect way to use it. I think I'll have to take that along with me! We always budget extra to be able to tip extra to those who really go above and beyond for us.

More often than not, we add to the tips at the end of the cruise for great service.

When I took my daughter & granddaughter on NCL a few years ago I attempted to have the automatic tips removed from my bill but they told me "it was part of my cruise contract" and couldn't be done. I later found out that was a lie after talking to NCL execs. I did not appreciate the room steward telling me to make up our room ourselves if we wanted it done before 2PM and the waiter in the restaurant telling us kids could not have lobster.

Only one other time back in the 1970's on our first (and last) Cunard cruise we had a waiter who did absolutely nothing but yell at his assistant waiter and made him do all the work. We switched their envelopes and gave the Ass't the larger amount.

We’ve found someone (usually several) on every cruise that deserves extra – if we can, we show our appreciation right away rather than waiting until the end.

We like giving tips to the person who earned it rather than to the tip pool, but we understand it. We remember being appalled at the half-empty dining room on the last night of our early cruises and, worse yet, hearing people proclaim proudly how they got out of “having to pay extra”. On the other hand, we also saw plenty of maître d’s and head waiters who had been invisible all week show up on the last night with their hands out.

I guess overall the tip pool is better for the crew and we do like the convenience of having our gratuities all pre-paid (and paid off!) long before the cruise sets sail!