• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Voxer PPT (Push to talk) on iphone

Rate this topic

Adrienne123

Voxer has a free app for android and iphone that allows free "walkie talkie" use with others who have the app. It is a free download and says it is free to use as walkie talkie. Does this mean that on a cruise we could use it without roaming charges? Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this??

I don’t know about this in particular but, in general, I believe apps “communicate” using your data plan (this appeals to people who have unlimited data but only so many talk minutes and/or text messages). So if you have roaming fees to check email in the middle of the ocean (I know I do) you will likely have the same fees to use this app.

Thanks for the info...after checking futher this seems to be the case. Walkie talkies get mixed reviews too...guess there is no easy fix to the "Oasis and Allure" communication problem...just advance planning. LOL!~

a

...guess there is no easy fix to the "Oasis and Allure" communication problem...just advance planning.

Yeah, the Oasis class ships are huge, but we found ourselves bumping into the same people over and over. House phones are readily available (best used to call the staterooms of anyone you’re sailing with) and the ship is full of landmarks that make it easy to meet up (the pizza place at 8:00, central park at 6:00, etc.) Try not to think of communicating as a “problem” – it’ll make it easier to relax and enjoy your cruise! :smile: