• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival is trying to right their ship after recent disasters

Rate this topic

Jason

It's been a rocky ride for Carnival Cruise Lines after several high-profile mishaps in recent years. Now the company is spending more than half-a-billion dollars for improvements to right the ship.

Arnold Donald, the new chief executive officer of Carnival -- on the job for less than nine weeks -- recently sat down with CBS News travel editor Peter Greenberg to discuss the company's recent issues and improvements in the works at the largest cruise line in the world.

Last year, Costa Concordia -- a Carnival-owned ship -- ran aground off the coast of Italy, killing 32 people on board. Speaking of that event, Donald said, "It was not any infrastructure or systemic problem that produced the Concordia. It was a one-off unbelievable error in judgment, and it was a tragedy."

Then, this past February, an engine room fire left the Carnival Triumph powerless and adrift for days in the Gulf of Mexico without air conditioning or working toilets. It was a public relations disaster for Carnival.

Greenberg asked Donald, "How do you get ahead of that story?"

"Obviously we didn't," Donald said. "In the future, the way to get ahead of it is to not have it happen."

Donald took over as chief executive officer of Carnival after bookings fell, shares plummeted, and some passengers sued.

Greenberg said, "The good news with the Triumph is you got the fire out and nobody died."

Donald replied, "Not only did no one die, no one was hurt, no one was sick, so there was no safety health issue involved with the Triumph at all."

But it forced Carnival to take a hard look at the design of its ships and safety systems. As a result, the company is spending upwards of $600 million to upgrade its fleet.

Donald said, "In the highly unlikely event we should ever lose power again we'd be able to have a system to back that up and we'd have a process to keep from losing power in the first place."

Carnival Cruise Lines' new vice president of technical operations Mark Jackson -- a former Coast Guard commander -- came on board in April to turn things around. Jackson said, "What happened on Triumph is horrible for our guests and we never want that to happen again, but unfortunately it's something that we learned the hard way."

The first order of business -- rerouting 63 miles of cable, so that a fire would be less likely to take out both engine rooms, as it did on the Triumph. Jackson said, "If one room is lost, we don't lose the other."

Then it was fire suppression -- increasing the number of water mist nozzles from roughly 30 to about 500, and adding a 24/7 manned patrol to look for oil or fuel leaks. And finally, installing a second backup generator, nowhere near the engine room -- just in case. That way, basic services would stay up and running, which, for a ship that size, is no small task.

Despite the bad PR, the statistics are still overwhelmingly in passengers' favor. Donald said, "Keep in mind, these incidents represent far less than one percent of the experience with all our guests."

Still, as consumer confidence tumbled the line began offering deep discounts to get people on board, in some cases slashing fares to just $149 per cruise.

But cruise ship economics are unforgiving, it's not what the passengers pay to book their cruise that counts, it's what they spend once they're on board that moves the bottom line.

The bottom line for Donald now is to reposition Carnival, rebuild its reputation, and fill his ships.

By CBS News

For more cruise news & articles go to http://www.cruisecrazies.com/index.html

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more

http://www.cruisecrazies.com

Click here to view the article

It's been my experience that the perception of Carnival Cruise Lines, and cruise lines in general, has only fallen among those considering a cruise for the first time or those still very new to cruising. Experienced cruisers have pretty much brushed off the incidents and have overwhelmingly cited the amazing safety record of cruising as the reason.

Not a single one of my hundreds of friends who cruise have considered cancelling or even changing plans for upcoming voyages. They HAVE been very pleased by the price reductions, however!!!

We booked the Conquest In Feb shortly after the Triumph incident and had friends tell us we must be nuts booking with Carnival. Our cruise starts Sunday and we are out to prove them semi-wrong. Granted we are nuts about sea cruises, or maybe we should say we are just cruise crazy!

I am glad CCL has done this though also think the pos. effect of this would have been greater had it come sooner.

In any case I think cruise lines will survive this just fine and like Mach said some will benefit from reactionary price drops. Our 2012 med cruise price dropped a lot after the Concordia accident.

I think this story is overly dramatic. It only took about 2 months after the Triumph INCIDENT for Carnival to announce they were going to invest seriously in upgrading their vessels. BUT, how many of the other cruise lines have jumped onboard with Carnivals idea to upgrade? I haven't heard of one line!!! ALL cruiselines pinch pennies when building ships, not just Carnival yet they are the only one's upgrading. This is the first year we will actually be cruising twice in the same year in our past 9 cruises and the Carnival INCIDENT didn't cause us to change our mind on cruising. I agree with mach on the "newbies" or what I call the "NObies" (those that will never take a cruise) that base their opinion on a few small incidents over-reported by the media. Cruising is still one of the most safest and inexpensive forms of vacation you can find ANYWHERE!!! Just ask those that have perished in plane crashes..........

I think this story is overly dramatic. It only took about 2 months after the Triumph INCIDENT for Carnival to announce they were going to invest seriously in upgrading their vessels. BUT, how many of the other cruise lines have jumped onboard with Carnivals idea to upgrade? I haven't heard of one line!!! ALL cruiselines pinch pennies when building ships, not just Carnival yet they are the only one's upgrading. This is the first year we will actually be cruising twice in the same year in our past 9 cruises and the Carnival INCIDENT didn't cause us to change our mind on cruising. I agree with mach on the "newbies" or what I call the "NObies" (those that will never take a cruise) that base their opinion on a few small incidents over-reported by the media. Cruising is still one of the most safest and inexpensive forms of vacation you can find ANYWHERE!!! Just ask those that have perished in plane crashes..........

Spot on... and don't let anyone tell you that other lines have different systems. The ships of every cruise line are built by the same shipyards. Those shipyards use the same basic construction for every cruise ship. Where are the big bucks spent during construction? They're spent on obvious things that will attract guests... rock walls; theaters; specialty restaurants and such not on mundane items like back up generators.

All we have to do is look at the problems other lines have had with propulsion issues and other power related problems to see the facts of the situation. Color every cruise line with the same crayon, please.