• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Packing for a 3-night cruise … carry on?

Rate this topic

Jan115

My first-ever 3-night cruise is coming up on Disney Magic in a few weeks. Since my girls and I don't plan on doing any dress-up night, I'm thinking I can do this with just a carry-on bag only. What do you think?

Not sure I could do it. I would try, though. It would be great not to have to check in luggage. Think it could be done if you carry one of those really large purses to keep under your seat. Could put lots of things in there, too. Haven't been on Disney, but if it's not real formal, and you only have one dress up night you could probably make it. I usually like to bring the kitchen sink with me (LOL) but my hubby has helped me to be able to cut down on bringing so much since he gets to lug it all...except for my carryon. I can pull that along. I know I would try really hard if my hubby wasn't coming with me to take care of the luggage. {smile}

If this is carry-on only for a flight where you’ll be saving a high baggage fee that’s probably motivation enough to make it work. If it’s just for the cruise I wouldn’t bother unless you need to get right off the ship as soon as it docks at the end. Why limit your packing and force yourself to have to lug around a big carry-on when you rarely have to touch your luggage at all on a cruise?

Thanks for your help. Since I've purchased Disney transfers, and Disney picks them up in the baggage area and transports them directly to the cabin, it would be crazy not to check a bag. Besides, bags fly free on Southwest!

Jan, we only do 3 and 4 day cruises but since we do them so often, we've finally figured out how to pack for them. I take black slacks for the evening and just switch out the tops for 2 of the nights. On the third night, I just wear what I wore onto the ship, which is what I wear when we get off the ship. That way, at least for the photos, I look like I'm wearing different outfits. We do take our luggage on wheels , though, instead of a carry on. That would be too heavy with the shoes and toiletries and all.

Thanks, Cheryl. Sounds like you've got your cruise packing down to a science. My husband thinks I'm nuts for flying all the way to Florida for such a short cruise, but I'm actually looking forward to a cruise where I can pack much less.

• 4 years later...

One thing to note if you do only carry on for the airline fight you will be limited as to what you can take. Limit on items and amount of liquids. My normal way to travel is with a backpack and a roller bay. I check the roller bag  getting on the ship but self roll off so no waiting. 

Two people two roller bags and two back packs gives you lots of room. If a longer cruise I add a soft duffel bag which getting on I can check but off I can put on top of the roller bag and again not deal with luggage finding, waiting, and pick up.

Since I wrote this post 5 years ago, I have been carrying on for longer cruises, as well. The problem with carry on bags, however, is that everyone wants to carry on, and the overhead bins are jammed. Depending on the size and type of the aircraft, there may not be enough room under the seat for the second "personal" bag (laptop, etc), and even if there is, I have long legs and need room for them. For instance, this past 7-night cruise in Europe, I managed to fit everything in a carry on bag but ended up checking it, anyway, because I needed the leg room for the 6-hour flight.

Sorry but I never have a problem finding space for bags, my foot area is also clear because I fly in Exit Rows on shorter flights. On  longer flights not a issue as lots of storage and with my flight status can board the plane early.  I find carry on luggage easy to do. 

But if you are last to board and no space I have never seen a airline that would not short check the bag. Check it at the plane and it is waiting at the Jetway when you get off. The same service they provide for  baby strollers and such.