• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Cruise Review - Radiance of the Seas 5/30/2014 – 7-day Northbound Alaska with Hubbard Glacier

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful review, Michael and Amy! Thanks for sharing with us. Thanks for all the great information on the ship and ports. Haven't been to Alaska yet. My hubby keeps saying that we have enough snow and ice here in MN. LOL I'll talk him into Alaska one of these days...LOL

Was it really cold in May?

Hi Debbie! Temps were 60s-70s for the most part; cooler in the evenings. The only cold day was (as expected) while we were cruising the glacier. It rained off and on all day in Juneau (as it has every time we’ve been there) but every other days were beautiful. It was really nice to escape the 90+ temps of Florida for a few days!

Haven't been to Alaska yet. My hubby keeps saying that we have enough snow and ice here in MN.

Hi Shari! We grew up in Wisconsin and Illinois, so we know exactly what your hubby is talking about! Rest assured, Alaska is nothing like that! The scenery, wildlife and environment is unlike anything we’ve seen anywhere else in the world – the scope and grandeur cannot truly be captured in photos or described in words! This must be seen to be believed!

For the exact same reason, Dad refused to go to Alaska for years; we finally talked Mom into coming with us (and a bunch of friends and family). At the last minute Dad agreed to go along. He couldn’t have enjoyed it more! He never stopped raving about the experience and kept thanking us for talking him into it!

Once you get your hubby to go you’ll be the hero for planning it!

Hi Michael and Amy. That's so great that you got your dad to go. I'm sure that Marc will love it, too, when we go. To him, a cruise has to be out on deck with a summer drink, and listening to some Caribbean drums in warm weather. I'm sure he would love it too, if he went. He just in-visions himself in a winter coat, or rain coat, and looking at snow and ice...haha. It's so great that your weather was so good most of the time. I like 60s and 70s much better than the 90s and hot, and humid weather. I don't know anyone who has gone to Alaska and hasn't loved it, and wanted to go back. Everyone says it is so beautiful and must be seen. I'll just have to keep trying to talk him into it...LOL

Thanks for your comments. Nice to know that we were neighbors...Wisconsin and Illinois! :smile:

Thanks for sharing your experience. My husband always squawked when I mentioned an Alaskan cruise, but after actually going on one last summer, he's changed his tune, and is actually thinking about a repeat!

I haven't sailed on Radiance, but I did love the Brilliance! Like you, however, I agree that the food was just okay, and in fact was below just okay at times - especially the buffet. The Park Cafe was the exception - the sandwiches and salads were great! The movie theatre on Brilliance was a great concept, but it was too small for the number of people on board, and not enough room for everyone who wanted to see a film.

Glad you had a great time. Makes me want to go back to Alaska real soon!