• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

It's been quite a year for us

Rate this topic

CaroleB

Well, I've been absent from the boards for a while. Starting my new home business and then in June, John and I had a wreck. You would not think you could wreck a huge Harley Trike but YEP, you can. We hit a guard rail (late at night) and it threw us both off. I hit his helmet with my chest as I went over the top of him, back tire on his head (yes we always wear helmets). Not sure what happened next, then I hit the ground on my back about 20 feet away. Fortunately we were thrown onto the grass, not the road. Got up, heard John screaming, pulled my helmet off and went to him. The trike was on top of him - no way I could lift it, because it is close to 1100 lbs.

Out of NO WHERE came two guys (previously there was no one on this road in front or behind us). They lifted the trike off John and I drug him out screaming. Next thing I know, there is a cop and an ambulance. It's all a blur till the hospital. He is in the trauma section of the ER. I am right there with him as they cut his clothes off and carefully removed his helmet. I had a back injury and whiplash....never admitted to hospital. John, after the MRI, and CT scan, has NO brain injury, but has a partially collapsed lung, 5 broken ribs and broken collar bone. He spent a week in the hospital - two days of that in trauma care ward.

This accident occured on my birthday. :( It's been 4 months now. Lots of doctor visits, lots of meds and me MAKING him do his breathing treatments to keep him from getting pnuemonia. Then just as things are looking upward, he got very sick three weeks ago. So sick, he couldn't hold down any food for two weeks. He stayed like that for two weeks. No energy at all, and food made him throw up. I kept water in him and made him nibble on crackers. Now for the past week, all is well. He is still healing from the wreck and my back wont quite be the same since I had an old injury in the same spot but we are getting back to normal - Just in time for our upcoming Regal Princess cruise on Nov 9th!

The trike is repaired - $11,000 worth of damage to repair/replace. Wouldn't have been as much but we chose the option to REPLACE parts rather than repair. It's still in the shop till we come up with the $500 deductable but John is not quite ready to ride yet. Ironically, I chose NOT to ride my new bike for that evening. I just got a new 2014 Harley Softail Deluxe in Vodoo Purple metalflake at the very end of May. I haven't rode since the wreck....not out of fear, but making sure my back is completely healed before I try to hold up that 800 lb beast. :)

We are both so ready for a cruise! We are blessed. We had family bring us food the first night home. Neighbors who mowed and brushhogged the property and kept it free from snakes. Friends kept our dogs for three weeks. We are staying at home till the cruise except necessary outtings. I think I will wrap John in bubble wrap. Three years ago a brown recluse almost killed him. A week in the hospital and two surgeries saved his life. Now three years later a wreck (my first wreck of any kind). Three years from now, I am duct taping him to his recliner!

Bring on the Drink of the Day!

I am certainly ready. I need this cruise to re-energize. I must apologize to Jason because I was helping him with the port guides and all this just stopped everything. Being a fulltime caregiver to someone injured so bad AND trying to recover my own injuries was and still is overwhelming. It was more than I expected and then for John to get ill just as things were looking up...............

I am in a better place mentally right now, but still need this vacation! :)

Wow...Carole and John...I'm so sorry that you are going through all this. What a nightmare for you! I'm so glad that you are finally starting to get back to some kind of normal. You will surely need that cruise. Hope you can just have a nice, relaxing cruise, and rest, and enjoy the ship. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Carole , so very glad that you and John have recovered. I think both of you need bubble wrap. Enough of that stuff for both of you. Glad you have such great friends, neighbors and family . I'll bet you're counting down the minutes till your cruise. Enjoy every single minute of it. Thanks for letting us know what 's been going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! We drove 13 hours yesterday and made it to Pensacola. We are now up after a good nights sleep and headed for Ft. Lauderdale. Should be there a little after 8 :)) then another sleep and a wake up to get on the Regal. Very excited!!