• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Holland America Appeals to Families with New Ship

Rate this topic

Jan115

[With Holland’s new build, it’s apparent that they continue to attract families like never before.]

Holland America's next ship will be its first with cabins specifically designed for families -- a sign of the line's growing focus on multi-generational groups.

Currently under construction at a shipyard near Venice, Italy, the 2,650-passenger Koningsdam will have 32 specially designed "family ocean-view" rooms that will range from 222 to 231 square feet, the line announced on Tuesday.

The new family cabins will feature a contemporary design and such family-friendly amenities as two bathrooms -- a concept first pioneered by Disney Cruise Line. The cabins will sleep up to five people.

"A cruise is one of the most popular ways to travel as a family, and we continue to welcome more multi-generational groups each year," Holland America executive vice president Richard Meadows said in a statement accompanying the announcement. "To help us better serve families, we are pleased to be able to offer these tailored staterooms on ms Koningsdam."

Holland America on Tuesday also revealed that the Koningsdam would have 12 cabins for singles -- also a first at the line. The ocean-view rooms will range from 127 to 172 square feet in size and will be available on multiple decks at a variety of forward, mid-ship and aft locations.

Koningsdam will have 1,331 cabins in all, including 912 with balconies -- a new record for a Holland America ship. Among them will be a wider range of suites than on earlier Holland America ships.

Koningsdam is the first of a new class of vessel at Holland America that will be larger than previous ships and have a more contemporary design. The line tapped noted resort and restaurant designer Adam Tihany to create interior spaces in partnership with Bjørn Storbraaten, who worked on two earlier Holland America vessels. Tihany also has created spaces for Celebrity and Seabourn ships.

By Fran Golden (USA Today, "Holland America reveals new look for next ship", Nov. 26, 2014)

Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more.

Please visit CruiseCrazies.com for more cruise news & articles.

Featured photo credit: Holland America Line

View full article

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jan....that 's very interesting...I didn't even know that Disney had two bathrooms for families...cool! It's nice to see the rooms for singles coming also. On my very first cruise I had a single room...I went with my parents and friends of theirs, but I had my own room at a good price. This will be nice for both families and singles. Good for Holland America.